SharePoint Review

Metadata is easy to index in the research engine. Wikis are limited and hard to use.

What is most valuable?

We are using metadata tags on documentation, indexed research, linked calendar to outlook, and controlled navigation.

We are not using libraries to classify information, but columns linked to metadata (customer, services, processes, and so on). We have generated a true document ID card, and metadata is easy to index in the research engine. We have a “Google-like” page dedicated to research, which includes refinement fields available to help in research.

How has it helped my organization?

We are only using it as a documentation storage system for around 500+ people, so we can find the right document at the right moment, as required. With metadata tags and acronyms, we were able to manage the company terms and create a common basis.

What needs improvement?

Various wikis are very limited; there is no integrated solution for communicators; master pages are too limited and require a developer; and libraries are sometimes useless.

Wikis are not simple enough and too hard to use. There could be auto links, for example, like you can implement in Confluence. A wiki should have an integrated table of contents and auto link to already available terms in the wiki, like Wikipedia works.

An integrated communicator would be an asset. You could use it to ask documentation owners when it will be available in the platform. It would work something like Facebook messenger.

Master pages are just too hard to manage because everything in SharePoint is linked. One level on one page might be a different level in another page; so you need time and failures before you succeed.

In general, it is a good product, but it has limited support and too much expertise required.

I have used it since 2010. The company I work for has been using it since 2003.

We never had any stability issues. In fact, our system is quite simple. We only experienced downtime three times in six years. This was only due to a VM management problem with human resources.

We did not have any issues with scalability.

Microsoft’s support is much too expensive and too complicated. We are not using their support at all. We are doing everything internally the best we can.

We tried ShareDrive and Confluence. We stay with SharePoint because of the indexed content and corporate licenses.

The initial setup was complex. We hired an external consultant to implement the Content Type Hub.

I’ll strongly recommend to adopt metadata solutions, but with a SharePoint expert. This is expensive, but you save a lot of time.

We did not evaluate any other options because of corporate requirements.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend hiring experts and architects and preparing detailed business requirements for them.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Limited