SharePoint Review

Cross-site search finds knowledge in the organization. Direct document editing facilitates collaboration.

What is most valuable?

The cross-site search is great for finding knowledge stored or used somewhere in the organization. Most documents are created in MS Office. Each MS Office Document can be stored directly on SharePoint. The threshold for people sharing their documents online has gone down. The cross-site search enables browsing all that knowledge with ease.

The ability to edit MS documents directly from SharePoint makes it easy to collaborate on documents with other people.

The strength of Microsoft has never been in its OS, but in its MS Office suite. MS Office 365 in combination with SharePoint, as a total collaboration tool, brings collaboration to another level.

How has it helped my organization?

There is much more collaboration and sharing across SharePoint.

What needs improvement?

Google Docs has two abilities that SharePoint should support as well:

• The ability to work in the same document at the same time would be a huge improvement. During my MBA studies, we used Google Docs for this. Unfortunately Google Docs doesn’t convert well to MS Word to add the finishing touches.
  • Just like Google spreadsheets within Google Docs, I would like to be able to fill an Excel spreadsheet through a form posted on SharePoint. SharePoint has list views that can do something similar, but I want it to do more, tightly integrated with Excel. This would improve the document collaboration options for spreadsheets.

I have been using it for three years.

We had issues with stability when we implemented it at a previous company. We had issues where the system was down for a while.

We did have issues with scalability. Performance isn’t so good if too many people use it.

At a previous company, Sonepar, we were supported by VX company, and at my current organization, Canon Europe, by Capgemini.

Previously, we used enQuira to store questions.

Initial setup was straightforward.

It is affordable for what you get.

At Sonepar, we considered using open source CMS systems, like Drupal and DotNetNuke.

What other advice do I have?

Ensure the search is quick enough. If not, look at the indexing configuration.