SharePoint Review

Provides faster search results and better document search. Data portability between Excel reporting and Power BI allows us to create beautiful company reports.

What is most valuable?

SharePoint Search. The combination of a central search portal and search-based navigation (search based on predefined metadata) returns faster search results.

SharePoint business intelligence. The data portability between SharePoint Excel reporting and Power BI allows power users to quickly create beautiful company reports.

Hybrid in SharePoint 2016

How has it helped my organization?

SharePoint Search improved document searchability from different sources like file systems and Office 365.

SharePoint Reporting and PowerPivot make it much easier to create a company report portal.

The SharePoint 2016 on-premises version, Office 365 and ADFS integration allow a good intranet/extranet architecture scenario.

What needs improvement?

The workflow engine. MS Workflow Manager is still in Version 1.0 and the future Microsoft strategy for this product is unclear.

Requirement dependencies of the initial setup and support could be very complex.

Companies often decide to buy workflow products such as K2 or Nintex because of larger features set and better stability.

I have been using SharePoint for five months.

There were issues with a cumulative update for SharePoint.

The new MinRole feature does not support a small environment. It will be solved with new Feature Pack 1 this year.

I rate technical support 3.5/5.

Our intranet portal was based on in-house development. We moved from legacy to a standard product.

Initial setup using the graphical wizard is very easy, but the recommendation is to use PowerShell scripts. Ready to use scripts like AutoSPInstaller make it much easier.

In SharePoint Hybrid Mode, Office 365 User SLs can be used to access your licensed servers deployed on third party shared servers/datacenters via License Mobility using Software Assurance. Check this possibility for saving money.

We evaluated Alfresco and Liferay Portal.

What other advice do I have?

Take time to plan your portal information architecture before installation and train your users and create a content editorial group.

2016
**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We have a gold partnership with Microsoft.
More SharePoint reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about SharePoint. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.