SharePoint Review

It has improved the exchange of knowledge from team to team. There should be an easy way to integrate images into the wiki through the drag and drop option.

What is most valuable?

The collaborative features, the central repository for project documents and the know-how for standard/best practices are valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

It has:

• Improved the exchange of knowledge from team to team.
  • Provided better product support through the centralized documentation of procedures.
  • Assisted in how-to to fix production issues.

What needs improvement?

The integration of Office document editing and publishing with the wiki component that we use for creating our how-to section needs to improve. At the very least there should be an easy way to integrate images into the wiki through the drag and drop option.

We also have many other tools that create their documentation in the form of HTML pages, sometimes with hundreds of pages. We should be able to directly integrate those into our site, not just through a link but to truly integrate this content as if it was native.

I have used this solution for four years.

The only issue that we have is when we are creating a new site from templates. During such a situation, many of the sub-components do not work or have to be completely reconfigured once created. This makes the creation of a new project based on our project site template very painful.

There were no scalability issues but then again, we are only about 30 people who are using it constantly.

The technical support level is practically nil.

We did not have anything before.

The initial setup was not so complex but our attempt to migrate was plagued with some issue and it was ultimately abandoned. It was not worth redoing everything what was there .

For us, in terms of the project development and support tools and for a collaborative repository of live documents, there is nothing like this solution.

We did evaluate a few other options. I know we looked at Jostle which we did adopt for the social-side of our intranet and for the publishing of static articles.

What other advice do I have?

What is costly with SharePoint is the customization and maintenance of these custom components.

Unless you are a .NET development shop or are thinking about hiring a SharePoint person on staff full-time, you need to stay close to the out-of-the-box config.