SharePoint Review

It offers customization with MS .NET and related tools, is stable and performs well in a medium-sized environment.

What is most valuable?

Valuable features in this product are:

• Easy customization with MS .NET and related tools
  • Stability
  • Performance in a medium size environment (100-200 users)
  • Full support by MS

How has it helped my organization?

We implemented custom approval workflows (for approving Opex items) using Windows Workflow Foundation which simplified and helped in speeding up the process of approving HW and SW licenses.

What needs improvement?

Performance: The web page was sometimes not as fast as we'd like to see.

Application of custom CSS/visual styles was cumbersome and usually required a complete re-write of out-of-the box SharePoint site pages.

I have used this product for three years.

Stability was usually good.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

It's standard MS-quality support. We got the help level we expected as an MS Gold partner.

Previously, we used custom ASP.NET application. We wanted to use SharePoint because it is easy to deploy in a new environment and has out-of-the box functionalities like AD authentication, file versioning, wiki pages, .NET extensible, etc.

The installation of SharePoint server was easy and had no issues.

I cannot make any specific recommendations.

SharePoint didn't have a direct competition at the time of our evaluation, mainly due to its deep integration with .NET Framework technologies like Windows Workflow Foundation. Thus, it was our only choice to try.

What other advice do I have?

Consider what level of SharePoint Web customization you are looking for. If you would be okay with some basic color changes, adding your logo and other small visual changes, it would be easy for you to build what you want. However, if you are looking to build a custom look and feel website and consider using SharePoint, you will end up building a completely new product using some SharePoint components that may lead into technology/customization limitations.

1 Comment
author avatarSales Associate at a tech services company with 51-200 employees

I believe that Centralpoint is superior and much cheaper!