SharePoint Review

Offers check in, check out and in-built approval workflows for documents/lists.

What is most valuable?

• Enterprise content management: It is one of the biggest features of SharePoint, which includes the use of enterprise columns for keyword searching and content organization.
  • Collaboration tool: It provides seamless integration with other Microsoft Office tools like Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
  • Enterprise search
  • Other vital features are check in, check out and in-built approval workflows for documents/lists.

How has it helped my organization?

SharePoint provides enterprise content management, which includes the enterprise document management tools. Also collaboration tools such as workspaces and team sites improve the productivity and increase collaboration. My Site provides rich personalization features.

What needs improvement?

• SharePoint should provide more out-of-box templates. They should add more site templates like blog templates, forum templates, and so on.
  • They should stabilize the platform more.
  • Document management requires some performance tweaks as well.

I have used this solution for about four to five years.

When used with large data, SharePoint may produce performance degradation; that requires some optimization and tweaks.

Scalability is great, but again huge data will be a little cumbersome to manage.

The technical support is good.

We have always used the SharePoint content management system.

For document management, we use IBM FileNet, which is great for managing document but poor with collaboration tools.

The initial setup is not that complex, if the architecture is laid down properly.

There are multiple licensing options available. You should select the one that is suitable to your needs.

We evaluated some other products, like Telerik CMS.

What other advice do I have?

Plan yourself properly in terms of the architecture. If you plan early for proper architecture, you will have a long-term solution.