What is most valuable?
- Enterprise content management: It is one of the biggest features of SharePoint, which includes the use of enterprise columns for keyword searching and content organization.
- Collaboration tool: It provides seamless integration with other Microsoft Office tools like Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
- Enterprise search
- Other vital features are check in, check out and in-built approval workflows for documents/lists.
How has it helped my organization?
SharePoint provides enterprise content management, which includes the enterprise document management tools. Also collaboration tools such as workspaces and team sites improve the productivity and increase collaboration. My Site provides rich personalization features.
What needs improvement?
- SharePoint should provide more out-of-box templates. They should add more site templates like blog templates, forum templates, and so on.
- They should stabilize the platform more.
- Document management requires some performance tweaks as well.
For how long have I used the solution?
I have used this solution for about four to five years.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?
When used with large data, SharePoint may produce performance degradation; that requires some optimization and tweaks.
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?
Scalability is great, but again huge data will be a little cumbersome to manage.
How are customer service and technical support?
The technical support is good.
Which solution did I use previously and why did I switch?
We have always used the SharePoint content management system.
For document management, we use IBM FileNet, which is great for managing document but poor with collaboration tools.
How was the initial setup?
The initial setup is not that complex, if the architecture is laid down properly.
What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and licensing?
There are multiple licensing options available. You should select the one that is suitable to your needs.
Which other solutions did I evaluate?
We evaluated some other products, like Telerik CMS.
What other advice do I have?
Plan yourself properly in terms of the architecture. If you plan early for proper architecture, you will have a long-term solution.
Which version of this solution are you currently using?