SharePoint Review

We use it for storing, collaborating and archiving documents with versioning and custom workflows.

What is most valuable?

I find that SharePoint when used for the right purpose, lends itself to be a fantastic collaboration and workflow service.

It is very easy to store documents, collaborate and archive documents with versioning and custom workflows.

How has it helped my organization?

SharePoint provides a simple way to store documents and we created lots of subsites to contain the courses and materials for our students.

We found that applying permissions were very easy, due to the integration with the Active Directory.

What needs improvement?

It was a shame to see the SharePoint Design being deprecated, as this was a great way to create very customizable workflows.

I have used SharePoint since the 2003 release, back in the year 2007. We initially used it as a Virtually Learning Environment and a business platform for our college.

We found it simple enough to manage and were able to integrate it with third parties.

There were very few stability issues. The issues are usually related to problems with the related Microsoft stack such as Windows Server/ SQL/ IIS.

When you set it up as a single server, you will quickly outgrow it. If deployed correctly SharePoint scales very well with the ability to provision multiple web front ends, dedicated reporting servers and SQL clusters. This all helps to remove a single point of failure.

As this is a Microsoft product, it can be difficult to obtain direct support. That being said, there is a thriving partner community around this product.

Before SharePoint, we used internally designed websites, WordPress and Drupal. We found that they did not provide the collaboration features and integration that we would have liked.

As we were new to SharePoint, we found that the initial process was complex. So, we hired a partner to perform the installation. Over the years, this experience has improved drastically.

As a an education institution, we had a very favourable pricing policy.

What other advice do I have?

Read and research this subject area thoroughly. Reach out to the large community and visit others that have adopted this solution.