SharePoint Review

Team sites allow multiple consultants to collaborate on a team project. We use workflows for onboarding processes.

What is most valuable?

I have found team sites offer much value to our organization. As a consulting company, it allows multiple consultants to collaborate on a team project for a customer.

We use SharePoint for companywide document management.

Although workflow is limited in SharePoint, we have used it for many onboarding processes, PTO requests, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

SharePoint has streamlined many processes and provided additional organization for our company. It has become a central location for both documents and productivity.

What needs improvement?

I would love to see a more robust workflow. There are 3rd party products such as Nintex and K2 that can be used, however I would like to see it built-in.

I’ve used SharePoint for 2 years.

Stability issues have been found with the database. From the infrastructure side, most people use dedicated databases for SharePoint so a simple reboot usually fixes the communication issues.

SharePoint is extremely scalable but requires planning ahead of time. You must answer some questions about your environment to determine how many servers and what SharePoint function(s) they will serve to meet the demands of your organization.

I have never used Microsoft technical support for SharePoint in particular, but Microsoft support is very good.

We used to use simple file shares and emails.

SharePoint can be very complex to setup initially (both infrastructure and back end design and implementation). The more scalable the environment, the more complex the setup will be. Generally speaking, a 3rd party consultant will be needed to implement the solution.

There are two options with SharePoint. They have an on premises and a cloud solution.

We did not look at alternatives.

What other advice do I have?

Hire and communicate with a 3rd party consultant.