SharePoint Review
My project sites can include views that apply to specific business uses. We can assign attributes to artifacts and then create views based on them.

What is most valuable?

The ability to assign an attribute to a library artifact allows the site owner to create the appropriate views based on artifact attributes (category, owner, etc.).

How has it helped my organization?

I have updated my project sites with views that apply to specific business uses, such as a project manager looking for a document assigned to a phase in the project (i.e., planning, design, execution) or an engineer looking for a document type (i.e., vendor contract, design build diagram, user acceptance testing worksheet).

What needs improvement?

Unless you have worked with a SharePoint business analyst, designer or power user, managing individual sites does require training to understand the components of the site settings and content. Folks usually start using SharePoint as a file repository without any structure. It can be overwhelming when you have 1,000's of document that a user has to parse through if just looking for a specific title. Without a consistent framework consisting of a standard nomenclature established in the initial strategy of rolling out SharePoint, using SharePoint as a file share becomes unruly.

I've worked with various SharePoint versions since 2008 but more recently with 2010 and 2013 as a power user in managing artifacts for various project and programs.

Most instances of SharePoint are stable. I have rarely experienced instability. Usually, it’s the management of user names and groups that results in problems.

I am not at the experience level to notice such an issue.

Most of the technical support has come from SME's and internal developers.

I always used Sharepoint.

I have no experience with rolling out templates or actual new instances.

What other advice do I have?

Get training for IT and training for your base user. Developing a framework (nomenclature, categorization and user needs).