Microsoft 400x400

SharePoint Review
I used it to build tactical solutions such as a document control management system for the Policy and Procedure Department and a case tracker for Legal Counsel.

Valuable Features:

• Libraries
  • Lists
  • The workflow module

Improvements to My Organization:

It improved communication, collaboration and content/record sharing in the organizations I worked for. It helped us manage our documents and records effectively and at a reasonable cost. The TAT for process/document review, approval and publication cycles have significantly improved from maximum of three months for each document down to two weeks.

Everyone, from the board level down to the most junior staff, was able to utilize SharePoint for their own needs. I even used it to build a simple tactical solution to fulfill the needs of various units within the organization. Eventually, these solutions became instrumental in building strong business cases that convinced management to adopt fully fledged comprehensive solutions. Examples:

• - Routing of documents to be checked within Trade Finance.
  • - Document control management system for the Policy and Procedure Department.
  • - Case tracker for Legal Counsel.
  • - Specialized workspaces for minutes of executive committees and business cases presented there.
  • - Online approval workflow for executive committee.
  • - Project tracker workspace.
  • - ISO surveillance tracker.
  • - Knowledge management center.
  • - Etc.

Room for Improvement:

• Workflow management module
  • The web page editor
  • The reporting tools

Use of Solution:

I used SharePoint 2007/2013 for six years as the super administrator from the business side.

Stability Issues:

I definitely encounter stability issues, like all other Microsoft-related solutions.

Scalability Issues:

I have not encountered any scalability issues. It’s highly robust, and can be scaled further as the organization’s requirements increase.

Technical support is bad, as the support is for all other Microsoft products.

Previous Solutions:

I did not previously use a different solution.

Initial Setup:

Initial setup was complex, but it was due to our experience and knowledge as an organization. Data deployment was a nightmare as the vendor (a Microsoft business partner) was not well prepared.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Don’t really know what to say here. I’d rather not answer. In general, we didn’t have any issues with SharePoint licensing.

Other Solutions Considered:

We did evaluate other products, but I don’t remember the names at this stage.

Other Advice:

Go through the vendor-selection process thoroughly. Dig all the information you can about them and try to meet other organizations who utilized them for implementing the solution.

I would give Microsoft SharePoint 2007 a lower rating. SharePoint is an excellent solution that is highly scalable. However, like all other Microsoft products, it has some frustrating bugs and other issues relating to customer experience. However, version 2013 showed significant improvement. The level of empowerment for the business administrator significantly improved as well. The solution is cost effective and licensing is highly flexible and straightforward.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About SharePoint?

Our experts can help. 222,213 professionals have used our research on 5,674 solutions.