SharePoint Review

I like the eServices Platform for developing applications on top off it.

What is most valuable?

• Enterprise Content Management.
  • eServices Platform for developing applications on top off it.
  • Organization Portals.
  • Collaboration, Team working and sharing.
  • Document Management.
  • Simple workflows.
  • Enterprise Search.

How has it helped my organization?

• Team sites and collaboration.
  • Main entry point for all applications.
  • Utilizing as a sign-on.

What needs improvement?

• Workflows.
  • Performance.
  • Content Migration and sharing.
  • Reporting.
  • User experience and design response.

I’ve used and implemented this software since the 2007 version until now (almost 9 years). My last implementation was in 2014, but I’m still using this as an end user.

We did have stability issues in the old versions and there were too many hotfixes, in the 2013 version. It’s more stable now, but it can still be better.

I've never encountered any scalability issues. In the past, I’ve implemented it in with 3TB of information, without any problems.

Technical support was very good, very responsive and professional.

We used to employ Oracle UCM, but we replaced it because of the features provided in SharePoint along with the customizations, flexibility and ease of creating websites, workflows, pages and applications.

Initial setup was straightforward, easy and successful.

SharePoint is a suite of features and products within one product. Purchasing and implementing it needs optimal usage planning. I would recommend that you select the pricing or license type based on your usage. (In general, the internet license is the best).

We evaluated multiple alternatives including:

• Oracle UCM
  • EMC Documentum
  • FileNet IBM
  • Alfresco
  • Liferay

Based on two selection exercises in two organizations; SharePoint was the best fit solution. The 2nd was EMC Documentum, then Oracle followed by FileNet and Alfresco, with Liveray last.

What other advice do I have?

Plan, Plan and Plan again! Usage planning is needed with up to 70% of your efforts being expended in information gathering and implementation and usage planning.

2007, 2010 & 2013
More SharePoint reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about SharePoint. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.