ShieldSquare Bot Mitigation and Bot Management Review

There are webmasters who do this manually, but we don't want to spend our time doing that kind of whack-a-mole.

What is our primary use case?

Bot mitigation. We run a dedicated server to manage a high-traffic website that draws a lot of attention from bots.

How has it helped my organization?

Bots have become more prevalent and insidious over the years. We use ShieldSquare as a gateway to filter traffic, letting the good bots and real users in while keeping the bad bots out. There are webmasters who do this manually, but we don't want to spend our time doing that kind of whack-a-mole. The other big upside is in preventing scrappers. We publish a lot of original content, and without this protection, there is a feeding frenzy on it that could result in search engines listing the scrapper sites higher with our own content.

What is most valuable?

The reporting is excellent, providing a nice overview of what's coming at us. Along with Google analytics, it helps us get an understanding of our traffic. We've also found the whitelist feature handy, which allows us to crawl our own site without being blocked.

What needs improvement?

This is always evolving, but somehow quarenteening bots or sticking them in a honeypot so the can't pound the API would be helpful. The bots, of course, are always evolving.

Three to five years.

Haven't had a problem with any downtime.

We've had to scale it up, and it was not a problem.

It's been excellent. Recent support was very helpful.

We did this ourselves using firewalls and other tools, but it proved a losing battle.

Initial setup for us was a long time ago. I remember it requiring a bit of effort, but getting the help we needed.

In-house.

Can't provide a solid number, but for what we save in resources and what we get from listing protection, it is certainly worth it.

We didn't hit any traps. This company has been very honest and helpful. I'd suggest letting them make recommendations.

Yeah, it was a while ago, but I think we looked into Incapsula and a few others.

What other advice do I have?

Just that they've been great during transitions, like when we've had to move servers. Excellent support.