Signavio Process Manager Review

Ease of collaboration increases visibility and engagement with our users

What is our primary use case?

Our main use case for this solution is process design and process analysis. We use this product to document the process and then put in all of the attributes and elements according to the BPMN 2.0 Standard. From there, we are able to analyze the business process and identify improvement opportunities.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved our organization in terms of the level of engagement. For example, everybody is more aware of the business process.

In the old days, we used to run workshops with post-it notes and flip charts, draft the process map and then email the process maps or stick up the draft process maps on the wall for comment. You then collate the comments and modify the process maps which is time-consuming.

Since Signavio Process Manager is a cloud-based solution, it's way easier. You just invite users to comment on the process map.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the collaborative nature of it. If somebody documents a global process then everybody can comment on it, or contribute to the process map, regardless of where their office is.

For myself, I most often use the process manager, which has a friendly user interface.

What needs improvement?

The Signavio Process Manager is a middle-range solution that is also capable of process simulation and workflow management. Whilst it may not be as strong as other products for certain tasks; For example, simulation-wise, it is probably not as strong as SIMUL8 Process Simulation Software. For complex workflow management, it's probably not as strong as Appian. It represents good value for money with strong performance.

If you wish to build a process-centric business from scratch then I think this product would be ideal.

The Customer Journey Map is fairly new to the whole industry, and I think that Signavio has been supporting it for a couple of years now. The vector-based graphics library for the Customer Journey Map is a little limiting.

Three years.

The stability is absolutely amazing. Up until now, I haven't had anything that I'm not satisfied with. We have not had any downtime since I have been with the company.

In terms of scalability, I have used several of the components and they all seem to be integrated. Everything ties in really well. For example, the decision modeling component is linked to the business process map, which is really good.

We have about two thousand people in our organization, and about three hundred who have been trained to use Signavio.

I'm not aware of any major things for which we had to go back to Signavio. The whole platform just works. The issues are more to do with what happens on our site in terms of, for example, creating the library. How you utilize or re-use the elements is entirely based on the libraries that you have created. If you have five different elements that are all called "Approval process" then it becomes a problem, but that would be an issue of governance.

We were using a fairly old ARIS product and then switched to this solution. The ARIS product was well structured, which is good, but the user-friendliness of Signavio Process Manager beats ARIS hands-down. The ARIS solution is also very expensive.

The switch came about when our ARIS license was about to expire, and we considered upgrading the existing product. Our group of thirty-two people evaluated both the upgraded ARIS product, as well as Signavio Process Manager, and it was put to a vote. The result was a unanimous decision to transition to Signavio.

The initial setup for this solution is very straightforward, especially compared to the ARIS product that we were using. Essentially, when you sign up, they give you the username and your password. You can set up the end users in one day.

The difficulty in setup is not on the Signavio Process Manager side. Rather, it is a question of whether the process architecture has been properly defined for how you want to document the business process. Obviously, that has nothing to do with the product, but you need to have a process architect who is able to set up the process governance framework prior to the process mapping.

There was a period of change management because of our switch from the ARIS solution, so there was training involved, but it was a fairly easy transition.

During deployment, we had one person doing the training, who also helped us translate processes from ARIS to Signavio. We had one person to manage it, and another to help us roll it out.

For the implementation, it was fairly easy and we worked directly with the Signavio consultants.

No comments as I was not involved in the commercial negotiation.

This solution provides good value for the money.

We only evaluated the ARIS and Signavio solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Signavio Process Manager is a very good middle-range product. If you want to have more engagement from your SME, or are just starting out and trying to build a process-centric company, then this solution is ideal. You have all of these components in one product, and it will help you to resolve various issues.

The product itself is brilliant, but you need a strong process architect who can provide governance and the framework as to how the business will need to go about documenting and then maintaining the business processes. You need to have the right expertise within the company. The best software in the world can't make up for this.

While Signavio is quite user-friendly, it can be an issue if multiple people creating the same entity in the dictionary. For example, a subprocess "Approval Process" can be created by different teams and process owners, this is something that has to be managed properly.

If I were given the opportunity to recommend process software for people to use, I would highly recommend this solution based on my experience.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.