Signavio Process Manager Review

Enables us to carry out the entire process environment life cycle in a unified manner and for our employees to be more productive

What is our primary use case?

We've had a restructuring in our company last year, so a lot of functions that have come are quite new and a lot of new staff are being hired as well. It's particularly useful to have this repository of processes so that new staff can get on board easily and use the knowledge that's available to start working immediately.

How has it helped my organization?

There was a lack of clarity at our company, in terms of how certain transactions were supposed to be done. I think with this step-by-step approach in terms of process definition, as well as the ability for people to access the repository easily, we can remove any doubts of how they should be doing their work.

The solution will enable us to carry out the entire process environment life cycle in a unified manner, although we have not gone to that full cycle yet. We are just able to document our new processes as per the new business model that we have. We hope to complete the circle to go into improvement analysis next year, followed by a new version of their processes.

The solution functionality gives everyone in our organization what they need. One way or another, people are sort of developing their business processes on their own, but it differs from department to department. Now, we have a consistent way to model the processes and communicate them. It is now in one unified language.

We have not needed to make changes to our processes yet, but I think as people model their processes, they already see at the outset that there are possible improvements that can be made.

Employees are more productive because they can do a transaction without any ambiguity or issues down the line.

Signavio is approaching the point where its collaborative features will help to create a process-centric mindset. The good thing is the fact that you can raise comments on processors, which gives a lot of power to the end-users. They can say which areas need to be improved or get back at the process modelers to improve their processes in the future.

What is most valuable?

The fact that the repository is available on the web is the most valuable feature. It's a very simple tool. If you can use something simple and visual, you should be able to use the model as well in Signavio. It has the ability, for example, to track versioning control, so if you make updates to the processes, you have the ability to track the versions as well.

We had a solution before that was not as easy to use. A recent internal survey showed that people have found that Signavio is much more user-friendly. One of our goals was to make sure that our own staff is able to learn a model as opposed to relying on external resources. Our staff was able to be trained on how to use this tool and the model they own for themselves. In terms of ease use, it's very good.

What needs improvement?

I think the biggest selling point that Signavio talks about is its collaborative aspect. However, there's still a lot more improvement in terms of what they can do, how they receive comments, address comments, whether they actually provide feedback, etc. There is still a little bit more improvement to be made on those areas.

I think it's been very stable so far. There have been no crashes or other issues. We're happy with their regular updates.

Currently, we don't have that many users, so we can't yet test it in terms of scaling up. So far we have gone from ten users initially up to 50 modelers. We are also increasing the number of people accessing the collaboration hub. So far, so good.

Their technical support is very good. They have a very good way of accessing the users and are able to easily put our tickets forward to resolve them. On top of that, I feel that we still have customer success managers as well who check in periodically to see whether we are happy with the solution overall and see how they can help out with that.

We had an older solution that was not as easy to use and our staff was not able to learn how to use the previous tool. With Signavio, one of the selling points is that everybody comes out of a one to two-day training able to model their processes. You get that ability to do it yourself and start modeling very fast.

Our experience was that we used Signavio's own consulting team to do something called a rapid deployment. This was a quick and easy way to introduce Signavio into the organization. In just a few days, they came on site and talked to us to understand our context and situation. Then they could configure the entire solution. It's a very easily convertible solution anyway. Nonetheless, they walked us through it and it gave us the confidence to use the solution.

I think we're spending about $150,000 a year on licensing costs.

I think we were looking at a few state-of-the-art vendors that are out there. They were famous ones like Bizagi, KiSSFLOW, etc. Signavio ticked all of our boxes because you have the ability to model in open formats, such as BPMN, they have a web-based portal, and it was simpler. The other solutions can get a little bit more complicated. This one was a simple, easy to use software that was good for us.

What other advice do I have?

If you are thinking of a solution where you don't have to be dependent on external resources through the modeling part and you want to be more self-sufficient, Signavio is the way to go. It enables you to get your own staff to do the process documentation easily. The most important thing is that we're able to update the processes periodically, which is what we wanted. We didn't want an obsolete processing repository after a few years. We want to give the incentive to staff to update them. That's one of the major reasons I would say you should adopt it.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten. It's still a developing product and I have confidence that there is still a lot of room to improve. Of course, I'm not using the Velocity Edition yet, so I do see a lot of things that are improving in terms of integration aspects. They look and feel the same. They've integrated all the different modules. I hope that I would be able to give the Velocity Edition a nine out of ten. I think one of the issues was the fact that the solutions looked different because they brought different modules. Now, however, the new one addresses them in a more integrated fashion. The user interface is a bit lacking, which is why I only gave it a score of eight of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)