Signavio Process Manager Review

Helps us to go back to basics and document our processes in a standard way, in a central repository

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is to get a better understanding of our process. We want to get right to the core of it. We went through a multi-year automation journey and we found that most people really didn't know their processes well enough. Signavio is helping us to go back to basics a bit and document our processes in a standard way in a central repository. It also gives us a better understanding of the process so that we can be more targeted, accurate, and effective in the way we do our transformation.

How has it helped my organization?

It is still early days, but we have big plans. We want to embed the use and maintenance of the process data into everything that we do. We have various roles and operations from line management and business management to risks, supervisors, and change people. We need to embed the consistent use of a single store, a golden source of data for everything that we do. Our plan is to get the process documented, but then make sure that people use that, so it's not something that sits on a shelf somewhere and people only look at it when there's a problem or issue.

In terms of a business transformation, we've had a couple of successes and good examples, but we're going slowly, so it's going to take us some time to get there. We're setting the foundation for it, hopefully.

Signavio's phone apps help improve employee's workday functions, certainly on the chain side. People that typically pick up a process map for everything that they do are getting a lot of use out of it. The feedback so far is this is great. This is something that we needed. We've gone through a lot of transformation over the last ten years, but this is setting the stage for the future.

What is most valuable?

The reason we chose Signavio is it's a very robust industrial-grade business process modeling data tool, with data capture behind it, as well as a collaborative nature. A lot of it comes out of the box and requires less technology involvement. It can be run well by business users. That's what we really like about it.

It is also easy to use. We were using Visio, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and Paint until very recently to document our processes. Through this automation program I was leading, we were using another product, which has the word blue in it, which was a leg up from Visio, but still not quite what we were expecting. For us, it's really about the data-driven aspect so we are able to access the data and stitch different things together, especially when you're looking at things in hindsight.

What needs improvement?

There are a couple of things that could be improved. First, I think the interface itself can improve a bit. I think the interface is still stuck about a decade in the past, if I may be so brutal about it. Some of the buttons are really small, so you can't even see them. I think it needs upgrading to the 21st century with apps and the way we use mobile phones.

Secondly, although the navigation is fine and the customization is absolutely phenomenal, it is difficult to create different perspectives and views without having to take the data out of the system and use a BI tool. Those would be sort of the two main things from my perspective.

We've been using this product for less than six months.

There have been no major issues, as we are on-premises. We're not on a cloud origin, although we'd like to move to that at some point.

We're actually working on extending our licenses. We want to almost double the number of licenses we have. That's because the amount of engagement we've had has been really good.

Their support is okay. Sometimes, we find that the turnaround time isn't as great and it can sometimes takes a few chasers to get a response, but for the most part it's okay.

This is the kind of question my boss would ask me. He said, "What's the ROI?" I would tell him that the ROI will be in the future. We've had a couple of examples where people have told us that this is what they needed. It gives them the visibility that they didn't have. It is still in the early days, though.

We started this journey with Signavio two years ago. It was actually one of my colleagues that met them at an OpEx conference in the U.S. That's sort of been our top of the list choice since then. We knew we needed to prove to ourselves and the organization that we needed a tool. That's why we used that other blue tool for a year and a half to inform our requirements and get better at it. Then we made a case for it. I think the on-premises version was always important to us. We weren't ready to put all of our stuff in the cloud yet, but I thought we were getting better at it. The collaborative nature of it and being able to customize a lot of things that we wanted without having to rely on technology support is really good. Some of the features like the API for putting data in and out provide a lot of functionality. We did a pretty extensive assessment of other solutions, but we decided that this technology was the best of all.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution somewhere between a seven and eight out of ten, because of a couple of things that we would want out of the box. The whole goal for us is not to be relying on technology to support us, but I can't customize a view or use customer attributes that I created. In some cases, I can use them, but it is very limited. Basically that and the interface are the only issues I have.