Signavio Process Manager Review

Quick to learn and easy to implement BPMN

What is our primary use case?

I'm a management consultant, and I'm working with an IT-managed service business that is trying to trend well. They're trying to change the way they operate so that they can scale their PE-backed business. They want to grow a lot faster than they're growing.

Typically, that sort of business, they started saying, "We need new systems." As soon as you get involved with helping and say, "What's processes are you trying to execute on these systems?" You immediately get into the use case of, "You don't have an operating model." If you don't have an operating model, you're never going to scale.

I'm helping that business on the journey to establishing an operating model and a set of processes This means that the systems that they want to implement will actually support the processes and allow them to deliver value to their clients. In the end, my use case is a pretty basic process mapping.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for me is usability. I have experience in managing and growing businesses, operating models that were built for me, and have also built them myself on Microsoft Visio and other tools. They have been horrible, static, unused, impossible to maintain, and inaccessible tools. Now, as an independent consultant, usability is important to me.

It is very easy to implement BPMN using this tool.

The Collaboration Hub is a big thing.

What needs improvement?

If you're going to use the tool the way I'm using it, which is to work with businesses and capture what they're thinking, it would be helpful to be able to insert other objects onto a diagram. At the moment, there are the different symbols you can use with different features of BPMN, but if I wanted to cut and paste a slide or some images to help us show them, "This is what you gave me. This is how I've changed it into this," you can't do that. You can't superimpose images or other things into their graphic. I understand that it works well as a best practice for capturing a process, but as a communication tool, that would help.

I have been using Signavio for about four months.

My client currently uses Visio, but it's not available to everybody.

My client purchased one editor license and the Collaboration Hub, which covers up to a hundred people.

I just did a classic Google search. "What's out there in the market?" I looked at three or four, maybe five tools in the classic, "Have a quick look, see what it says." If there's a free version, let's download it, play with it. If within half an hour I'm not going anywhere, bin it. Next.

I think that I did that with Nintext Workflow and just compared it to Signavio. Within half an hour I could use it. It's a powerful editor that very simply allows you to capture stuff if you know BPMN, the business process model notation. I knew a bit about it. It's very easy to follow and it's easy to implement in the tool.

What other advice do I have?

When I ran a business with three hundred and fifty people in it, we had a horrible, static, slightly-linked HTML site that was our process model. Nobody used it. With the Collaboration Hub, the ability for people to give feedback and comment is a powerful tool. A process is only as good as how much it's used, and Signavio gives you the ability to do that.

This is a very accessible and very quick-to-learn tool. In this day and age, anything that's quick to learn is far more likely to be of use than things that are difficult to learn.