Signavio Process Manager Review

Gives us the opportunity to create a simple view but keep it very detailed as well

What is our primary use case?

We are using the process manager. We have used the collaboration component quite heavily with some of our projects to communicate with some of our other partners. Currently, we are doing some work with some external companies and putting their processes into ours. We have actually been able to communicate directly with them. It has really cut down the time projects take and reduced some of the complexity of following communications with emails going forwards and backward all the time. We are currently going through the business operating model so we can drill down start at our operating model for the business and then drill down to get to the process level.

How has it helped my organization?

Because we are still in the early days, it is difficult to say exactly how the product has improved our organization. It is certainly a tool that encourages communications and allows access for departments to see what they do in a much easier way than before. It is good to have that live process that is always going to be updated and accessible instead of on a static rolled up piece of paper in the cupboard.

Probably similar to a lot of other businesses, you are going from having your flows and models in very different formats which can get very complicated sometimes. So it has really given us that opportunity to create that simple view but keep it very detailed as well. People don't need to get bogged down in navigation or figuring out other people's methodology or tools.

This solution improved employees' workdays and functions in some ways. Our automation team is using it quite heavily. It has enabled them to develop their automation quicker and it has enabled projects to be dealt with slightly quicker because of the collaboration commenting, and views are in one place. It has given people that chance to react quickly to any changes and the build of the automation has become quicker and easier.

I think we are getting around to more globally adopting a process-centered mindset. We are not there yet, but I'm hopeful that is will be in the future.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is ease of use which has really been a good thing to put into the business. People like tools that they can just pick up and use straight-away. For example, people love the Spacemaker tool, which is funny out of everything they could pick, but they think that is really good. The ease of use, the way the interface looks is very clear and having the ability to add an extra layer to process plans is helpful. I think that extra layer is something that I've really been able to use with the business, and it is nice how valuable that can be.

With the various ways that we can get out into the business through modelers and also through the quick model, we have been able to get things into the solution from different formats and that has been adopted very well. We are getting a lot of the content into the quick modeler. Essentially, in the department I work in, we do not have a full view of everything that goes on in the business. The solution enables the subject matter experts to get their information in and then we can go along and help them construct it and tidy it up properly.

What needs improvement?

The only thing I would really like to change is notifications. The collaboration and commenting features are great. However, I think it would be more useful for people to get notifications of comments straight away so we can react even quicker to them than we already can.

It has been very, very stable for us. So far so good. I think we had one small outage but it was dealt with really quickly.

We are still in the early days of using the product so the usage is quite small at the moment. I would imagine over the next six months we would be able to really scale it up once we get enough content in there. It is quite gradual at the moment.

The tech support has been very good so far. I have not actually had the need to use them much, which is good. The UK-based team delivers excellent customer service. The people we deal with are very knowledgeable, but also technically going through the system has been really good and quick.

We knew we needed a better solution after we carried out a review end-to-end in the business. It highlighted a lot of the things that better process management could solve for us. From silo approaches to just not having a lot of things joined up in the business, this was seen as a way that we can actually do that and keep it live, and keep it up to date.

We did not previously have a dedicated solution at all. We used older more traditional methods with Visio, PowerPoint and piecemealed it together.

Going back to the process of the tools we considered, it is hard trying to remember all those. I can certainly answer why we chose Signavio. It was the fact that their ethos and how they approached us just seemed to fit with how we like to work. That put them steps above others along with collaboration and customer journey mapping. We were embarking on a customer excellence project at the time, so it was really a way for us to tie a lot of that together. With collaboration being at the heart, it really did help us.

The initial setup was straightforward for the people who did the deployment. We had an idea of what we wanted to do, but they really helped us put it together.

We used an external training company to help get everything set up. They trained us and then it gave us the starting platform to then take it on ourselves to build out.

Our return on investment at the moment is time-savings on project communications. To be honest, because we are in the early stages it is hard to put a value on it. We are still at the stage of just getting stuff in.

What other advice do I have?

The solution's integration of process modeling, mining, and automation in one place really helps. That Collaboration Hub is a nice feature, but also the separation of the modelers and having them in their own space. But it is that Collaboration Hub that really helps bring everything together. We have not fully looked at how the process intelligence will incorporate with that yet. That is something we are still to look into, but I can certainly see that it will be able to just pull those different elements together and layer them.

The product certainly helps us identify process improvements and then we can use that documentation and those models to change our projects and processes. The parts are working side-by-side at the moment. The functionality gives everyone in our organization — from process experts to end-users — what they need. It is presenting a different view and it is allowing people to more easily view what they need to view. But it is also giving that viewer access to understand other areas of the business that they probably would not normally have access to.

On a scale of one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best. I would rate Process Manager as a high nine. Just the ease of use, the layering of information and how quickly it can all be done is enough to rate it high. The team that we were interacting with in the UK, through from presale to now have really supported us. It is not just a case where we have purchased a product and got left alone with it. They are always engaging with us and working with us to help us with our transformation, which has been really good.

My advice to someone considering this type of BPM (Business Process Management) solution is to just go for it. We have already engaged with some of our partners to help them along. They will want to use some of the methodologies behind the change to use it optimally. But it really works to improve process and productivity.