Signavio Process Manager Review

Makes it possible to do a whole drafting process at the same time

What is our primary use case?

Right now we still do not have many processes defined. I remember back in February when I started at the company with the Wagner Group. I was wondering how the heck we even got the ISO 9001 certificate because there was a major lack of defined processes.

The good thing is we have some level of success and we are making good steps in the right direction now. The features we are using most of the time right now are the editor and the Workflow Accelerator. That feature was a very important thing because it really allows for automation without needing programming skills. I think this is going to be the main tool for us to really get the whole process-centric mentality in motion in our company. We really need to do a little bit of something in that direction to gain exposure and use of the product.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that the product makes it very easy to change something. If you think about all the things you do nearly every day, we should make a habit of creating defined processes for it. After you do, then you can simply open the editor and start right away.

Back in the day, I worked for another very big company. But then process management was more that we would take some post-its and write stuff on it that we thought we would want in the process. Then we moved them around to try to figure out what the process should look like. Then we really designed a process according to this very rough version of it by copying it. So with this tool, it is so much easier. It is possible to do the whole drafting process at the same time in Sagnavio so you don't have this double effort of writing it once, arranging and entering it again.

What needs improvement?

Part of the product that I think can improve is document control. That's currently not even possible. To work with documents we have something of a workaround using SharePoint. We made a SharePoint site with Nintex workflow in the background. I think if it could be possible to implement the document control right in Signavio it would become a very fulsome tool for a company. But right now we will just live with that workaround.

We have been using the product for about two years.

I think it is a very stable product. I found a bug once but I thought I must be doing something wrong. I reported it anyway and it turns out it was actually a bug. There is supposed to be a star at the top right of the process screen to make favorites. If you're looking at a process you can make this a favorite by just clicking on the star and it saves to a favorites list. I was demonstrating the Collaboration Hub to my colleagues in the quality department so the end-users would know how to make a favorite for the processes they needed to visit often. When I went to show them, the star wasn't there. I had to explain that normally there was a star and you can click them to create your favorites. It was a small bug and nothing that made the product crash. So I made a ticket the issue was solved I think after two days.

The support at Signavio is fast. We have got some very comprehensive answers. I would rate the support as very good.

I obviously saw that there were other BPM solutions, but I never worked with them, so I can not really make a valid comparison. I'm very happy with our choice of Signavio.

What other advice do I have?

I think ease of use has affected the adoption of the product in our organization. We are still lacking a little bit in adoption but the ease of use will help our users to grow. We don't have a lot of support from the end-users yet and we have had Signavio for nearly two years. It has been a little bit like a stepchild. If you are an end-user and you try two or three times to do something in a new application and you look for a feature you might have used in other tools and can't find it because you are not familiar, it can be a frustration. Or if you are searching for a process or a document or anything and you can not find it, it is also bad. Worse, if you get an error message the experience is not good. Then you would be discouraged and your patience with it is over.

On a scale from one to ten where ten is the best, I would rate the product as somewhere between eight to nine. If I have to pick, I would say eight. I was talking a little bit ago with some guy from Signavio about student licenses. Quality management and process management are things that I have to introduce students to as faculty of Olton in Switzerland. It would be a very good thing to support the students in learning about BPM with this product. Learning the processes is not that fun for students and Signavio could do more to support that.