Silk Test Review
OCR recognition and integration with IE are advantages but needs better integration with other tools

What is most valuable?

The OCR recognition is great, way over Sikulix or Robot Framework. I also like the fact that the integration with IE works great.

The KDT implementation seems to be pretty stable and easy to use, out of the box.

How has it helped my organization?

No, I can't, since we've not implemented this for anything but that evaluation task / proof of concept.

What needs improvement?

• Implementing integration with IntelliJ IDEA, since it's a way better IDE compared to Eclipse, in my opinion.
  • Implementing a better integration with Git. It was extremely painful to implement the link from Silk Central to Git. I couldn't do it with a self-signed certificate implementation of Git, such as the one we use within our organization.
  • Improve integration with Maven and Gradle.
  • Since I create KDT files locally, I am expecting they get uploaded / visible within Silk Central. Actually, I had to rebuild all of the KDT scenarios on the Silk Central machine. This turns out to be a huge overhead - syncing is also a huge pain with Git.

One month evaluation task for a client that had specifically requested this tool for web, desktop, mobile automation. The client had used this for many years in his organisation and wanted to add more resources.

None that I can think of. I had some issues related to Chrome, but that's something I had also encountered previously, in the Selenium world.

This was not the case for the short time we'd used this.

Since we only evaluated, we only used was the online documentation. That was useful I believe. Can't say anything about email / call-center, since I haven't used it.

Yes, we've used Maven / Gradle frameworks with Selenium + Java with TestNG/ReportNG, Cucumber, JBehave, Serenity BDD, and we've run these frameworks through Git/GitHub/BitBucket/Stash into Jenkins. We've used this for UI, SOAP API, REST API, and DB testing.

While I can't say that the setup was complex, the integration with Silk Central / Git was particularly painful, especially due to the fact that the fields in Silk Central have weird naming that don't sound identical to the naming used by Git/GitHub repos.

I don't know, we used an evaluation version. It would be a good option for a project that required desktop automation, maybe my first option, over QTP / UFT.

This project specifically required Silk Test, so there was no prior evaluation from our side.

What other advice do I have?

Don't be afraid to try it since it's an extremely powerful tool, but be patient and call the tech help desk for support. Also, post your findings online for others to help or get help.