SilkRoad Wingspan Review

Enables standardized, electronic, performance reviews. It is difficult to accommodate reporting changes during review cycles.

What is most valuable?

• Simple to use
  • Easy setup
  • Cloud-based
  • Easy foundation setup (companies, locations, employee data, etc.)
  • Employees can log in from any internet browser
  • No local installation and support is required

How has it helped my organization?

It has enabled standardized, electronic performance reviews.

We always have supervisor changes during the performance review cycle. For example, an employee’s manager terminates. The reviews that the manager may have been in the middle of doing does not get automatically transferred to the new manager. We had to do a lot of manual work to get the old manager’s review over to the new one.

The situation was made more difficult since we didn’t have our HR system integrated with WingSpan. The manager relationship change happens in the HR system. There wasn’t a trigger for anything to change on the WingSpan side, so we had to continually audit/track changes in HR and update WingSpan as necessary.

Using HeartBeat would probably have made the situation easier, but that wasn’t an option for us.

What needs improvement?

It is difficult to accommodate reporting changes during review cycles. Employee changes are not automated if you do not use the SilkRoad HeartBeat HR system.

We always have supervisory changes during the performance review cycle. For example, if an employee’s manager is terminated, then the reviews, that the manager may have been in the middle of doing, do not get automatically transferred to the new manager. We did a lot of manual work to get the old manager’s review over to the new one.

The situation was made even more difficult, since we didn’t have our HR system integrated with Wingspan. The change in the manager's relationship happens only in the HR system. There wasn’t a trigger for anything to change on the Wingspan-side, so we had to continually audit/track changes in HR and update Wingspan, accordingly. Using SilkRoad HeartBeat, would probably have made the situation easier, but that wasn’t an option for us.

We have been using the solution for two years.

We haven't encountered any issues with stability.

The product is designed for smaller companies, so scalability is an issue.

The technical support is good and we have never had problems with it.

We switched from Taleo to have more HR applications on a single platform and vendor.

The setup was straightforward. Basic and easy.

I was not involved in pricing and licensing so I can't comment about that.

I was not involved in the initial RFP and selection.

What other advice do I have?

The product is good for small companies and fairly simple employee populations. It is not good for matrixed organizations.