Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect Review

An end-to-end solution that is simple to use and supports asymmetric lines

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider that uses satellite communications to offer solutions that are built using products from multiple vendors. We call our product SD-WAN Max and it includes applications from vendors such as Silver Peak, Fortinet, and others to help customers best leverage their options.

Unity EdgeConnect is one of the products that make up SD-WAN Max.

Our customers include enterprises that are managing their HQ and ISPs.

How has it helped my organization?

EdgeConnect is the component of our solution that makes it manageable.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the support for asymmetric lines.

This is the only end-to-end solution, where you can have multiple links. It allows you to manage everything inside your SD-WAN. With other solutions, it is more difficult to manage both sides.

This product is very simple to use.

It supports zero-touch provisioning.

What needs improvement?

The security can be improved, with the firewall for example, because they supply a basic one but not a UTM. This is why you always need another product to go with it, such as one by Fortinet or Check Point.

We would like to see a VPN included.

We have been working with EdgeConnect for three years.

We have been running EdgeConnect for the last few years on a daily basis and we have no problems with stability.

It is very easy to scale. One of our customers is a telecommunication company that has 80 million people surfing the internet through this product.

The technical support is very efficient. In the few times that we have needed to contact them, we were given answers immediately.

The initial setup is simple.

Our in-house team takes care of implementation and deployment.

We have four people in the company who are experts with this product, and they can do anything with it. In addition, we have another six who handle the management and monitoring, but use other products in addition to it.

The licensing fees depend on the bandwidth. As an example of what we charge our customers, for 100MB without Boost, the price is approximately $2,000. That includes the licensing and the unit.

We tried solutions by three vendors before we selected EdgeConnect. For example, we tried to use Riverbed but it did not work for us. The problem has to do with load balancing and managing traffic.

We have one link that is 2GB with 800 milliseconds, and the second one is 1GB with 200 milliseconds. The other vendors were not able to handle these connections.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing EdgeConnect is not to try doing it alone. Select a good partner because there are many things that you have to know and need to be considered. It is an easy solution, but there are limitations that you have to be aware of.

Overall, this is a good product but if they had UTM then it would be great.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

More Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect reviews from users
...who compared it with Fortinet FortiGate
Learn what your peers think about Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,966 professionals have used our research since 2012.