Sisense Review

The rapid development of the product is good, but it has limited inner join functionality of the cubes. ​

What is most valuable?

The ability to combine multiple data sources in a cube environment is essential. The speed has been very good as well.

How has it helped my organization?

We are now able to increase our visibility into our business beyond the canned reports available in our ERP (NetSuite) and provide actionable, timely insight to our leadership.

What needs improvement?

The document is definitely a sore spot as well as the limited inner join functionality of the cubes.

We have been using this product for approximately two months now and are close to our final implementation.

Only trying to understand some of the functionality and our internal business rules.

No issues with stability have been encountered yet.

We are very early in our project but do not see any major limits yet.

Customer service has been excellent.

Technical support is very good. The rapid development of the product has some features that are new even to the tech support staff.

No previous solution was in place.

The connections to the SQL data were straightforward.

We utilized the Sisense staff for implementation along with our internal BI group. They are very helpful, knowledgeable and responsive.

Unknown at this time.

• Tableau
  • PowerPivot/PowerBI
  • Birst
  • Sisense

What other advice do I have?

Understand your business hierarchies intimately. Create flattened data files for roll-ups.

4 visitors found this review helpful
3 Comments

Senior Consultant (Checkmarx)

This review is insightful.

Senior Consultant (Checkmarx)

What is the data scale you are working with?

Hi there,

As Director of Product Management of Sisense I would love to shed some light on the inner join issue you mentioned. In general I will say that there are two ways to address it:

1. You can still always create an inner join with the custom SQL feature, if it's absolutely necessary.

2. It's true that the ElastiCube Manager (visual data modeling environment) doesn't show inner joins as a configuration option. However, it's quite possible that if you find yourself looking to do inner joins, you're not utilizing the full power of the product:

Most solutions rely heavily on joins in the data prep phase to create a single view.
What's unique about Sisense is that you don't *need* to flatten the data during the data preparation stage. Sisense only performs joins when it needs to answer a query, such as when a new visualization is created. The joins are performed ad-hoc and the system automatically detects which type of join is most effective for that particular data scenario. So 99% of the time, you shouldn't be dealing with these join headaches in the first place.