Slack Review

A clean and efficient communications platform that is good for large teams

What is our primary use case?

I use Slack primarily for communications. This includes communicating with individuals as well as grouping people into cells to work on specific parts of a project. We don't use the features beyond just the basic communicative side of it.

What is most valuable?

With respect to being a clean and efficient communications platform, I think that it does the job quite well.

It's very good for when you have a large number of people working within the team. It can be a challenge to ensure that people are working within the bounds of the project that they are assigned to, and Slack is effective for ensuring that happens.

What needs improvement?

I have found it cumbersome to create and set up groups, or channels. I recall having to go through the application, then back to the web site, and then back to the application. I didn't really like that and this is something in the interface that should be improved. If it were possible or easier to create those working groups within the application, without being taken into a browser and working entirely within the software itself, that would be ideal.

I would like to see integration with collaborative tools, such as word processing software or programming environments and coding software, made clear, easy, and as broad as possible. It should handle simple products, all the way to complex ones. It should be easily embeddable inside a channel so that anyone can use it.

I think that changing the privileges to remove restrictions would help the users to adapt to the platform more easily, removing bottlenecks. Having to request access for particular users is time-consuming and it would be better if more people can do these things themselves.

I have been using slack since the beginning of 2019.

I have not noticed any bugs, glitches, or other issues with stability.

We have between 30 and 50 users.

A lot of the work that we're doing now ends up on Microsoft Teams. Whether I like it or not, it tends to marginalize and eventually push Slack out of the picture.

I found the initial setup to be straightforward. You can also bombard people with reminder messages that they should be joining a channel or discussion. In fact, I've had less trouble with slack than I've had with Teams.

What other advice do I have?

From my perspective, this is a good product and I definitely recommend it. My advice for anybody who is implementing this type of product is to first consider what it is that they want to achieve, and then make the decision about which product to implement based on that. If you're trying to pick between platforms, like Teams versus Slack, I would recommend Slack for a variety of reasons. Even if you are using Teams already, I would suggest using Slack in addition because you can't go wrong.

More Slack reviews from users
...who work at a Marketing Services Firm
...who compared it with Microsoft Teams
Find out what your peers are saying about Slack, Symphony, Facebook and others in Enterprise Social Software. Updated: September 2021.
536,244 professionals have used our research since 2012.