Slack Review

What is most valuable?

The channels feature is the selling point for me. Being able to create a conversation for both public and private purposes through some channels is an absolute plus.

How has it helped my organization?

I was the president of a college event planning organization. Being able to have a conversation with my executives separately from the organization members was very convenient.

With multiple events happening and multiple conversations going on, I was able to divide the conversations into their respective groups and create channels for focus groups. This increased our productivity and efficiency by more than 80%.

What needs improvement?

Archiving for direct messages made tracking back conversations very difficult once the group started to grow large.

From what I noticed while using Slack, once a channel starts growing in
its number of messages, older messages are archived. This made it more
difficult to reference older messages. To be able to search for a particular message, you'll need to remember the exact phrases or the sender.

I think it would be much easier to "Scroll back" into older messages even
though it archived.

I have been using this solution for three years.

Stability was not an issue at any point. My team and I used it across multiple devices and platforms and the flow was seamless.

We had no issues with scalability. I was able to create more channels as the team grew bigger.

I never had to contact the support team.

We were initially using email and IM chat to communicate. We switched because the conversations became unorganized and inefficient when conversations started overlapping.

The setup was very straightforward. Once I sent an invite to my new team members, all they had to do was create a password and sign in. Their channels were pre-assigned and they had no issues joining the conversation. It was also easy to navigate.

Through an in-house one. Level of expertise was as great as it could get.

I had a relatively small team, so I didn’t have to worry about pricing and licensing. I only encountered pricing third-party apps and bots to help facilitate automations.

I did not evaluate any other options as I did not have a reason to. Eventually I heard of Ryver. I was not compelled to switch though.

What other advice do I have?

I think Slack is a very creative application to help unify communication across all team sizes. I will definitely suggest this as my first choice.