SmartBear TestComplete Mobile Review

We are facing sometimes the situation when we have some issues with our automated tests.

What is most valuable?

I like that it offers internal methods for supported controls. It is very easy to code the tests. Object Spy is also a good feature.

The mapping is pretty complicated because there are a lot of controls that are the same and if you have a long name with the object mapping it is easy to get confused.

TestComplete is perfect if you have an automation ID or something unique to each controller. Unfortunately our developers said that it's very hard to maintain all the names and automation IDs. Maybe in the future with this mapping part would be better.

What needs improvement?

The list view part and the collection view part need improvement. I remember when I used TestComplete earlier versions we didn't need to install the mobile application and we had access to the controls using Object Spy inside the list view and now, unfortunately, it only has a property view. From there, I can't find the specific element inside.

I have been working with SmartBear for the last two and a half years.

The stability will depend. I was running a test on my mobile and I got a call and I had to pick up and then the test was running, but when I connected again the mobile and stopped the test run, the application crashed.

I reopened the ticket because our manager was in contact with someone at SmartBear and we cannot send our application. Sometimes when we expand something in the collection view and we want to tap in the test, the application is forced closed and there's an error occurred and no details.

The usage depends on the project that I'm working on. Until the beginning of this year, I used it weekly, like every day when I was at working hours.

I'm pretty satisfied with technical support. The only problem is this that if we can't send a sample application, somehow the ticket doesn't get answered and we have to reopen.

The setup is and isn't straightforward. If we leave the license open and someone forgets to close it when I want to open it again and he closes it and I choose mobile again, I have to customize the toolbar and select the screen monitor again. I would like for this to be improved.

Sometimes when I tried to remote set up one of my colleagues' machines for TestComplete it did not recognize the parts with the login.

What other advice do I have?

I believe that the best advice would be to analyze the application that needs to be tested on different platforms and then decide because we used some UI controls that are not yet supported by SmartBear and that involved some coordination to find out the exact coordinates of a control. We received a solution for this, which we use currently. Unfortunately, it only works around 80%.

Sometimes a control overlaps. For example, a progress bar overlaps the item from the list view and a problem will occur. We have some test runs that sometimes are different. We have three test runs for 60 tests and the first time it's green, the second time one fails and so on. It is not consistent, but this problem occurs also because some of the controls are not fully supported by TestComplete.

I would rate TestComplete a seven out of ten.