SmartBear TestComplete Review

Easy set up and test creation but the test object repository needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We have what we call a UK tax related application. We are using the solution to automate some functional cases of the application. Use case wise, it's usually used more on the accounting side, which is the main purpose of the application. With the available functional testing of workflows, we are able to have accountability there.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect is how easy it is to create tests. For example, recording options.

The reporting is ready to use and doesn't require any setup.

We can easily create test suites without much trouble. For example, by using the UFP test, we can directly create a test suite.

What needs improvement?

The test object repository needs to be improved. The hierarchy and the way we identify the objects in different applications, irrespective of technology, needs adjustments. The located and test objects are not as flexible compared to other commercial tools.

I have three or four months of experience on the solution. I am an architect on technical optics. Different teams work on the project as well. I mentor them sometimes as part of my job. As far as hands-on experience goes, I can say I've only actually been using it for a few months. It hasn't been more than that.

Our company as a whole, on the other hand, has been using the solution for the better part of four or five years now.

We haven't had any problems with stability. It's reliable. We haven't witnessed any bugs or glitches. It doesn't seem to crash on us or to freeze.

The solution is scalable. There are no issues in that sense. If a company needs to expand out the solution they can do so easily. We can add as many artifacts as we want.

I'm not sure if we have plans to increase usage in the future.

I've never used technical support, so I can't speak to how good technical support is.

The initial set up was not complex. I can say it's straightforward due to the fact that we have started out relatively small. We have gradually developed it. We continue to build it out all the time. That made it simple. This was important for us, as our team didn't have too much experience with the solution.

The deployment was handled by my IT team. I did not handle the deployment personally.

The implementation was handled in house by our own teams.

The pricing is reasonable. It's not too expensive as a solution. We're satisfied with the billing so far.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

If you compare it with competitors, the object identification needs to be improved. It also needs to ensure that going forward it supports new technologies. We are seeing a lot of new technologies coming up. It's important that test companies support these new advancements. If they do, then it will give testers a reason to try them out and hopefully adopt the solution. It's a win-win.

The solution is also great for language flexibility. It's important to support a number of languages to help increase user adoption.

I'd recommend this solution to other organizations. It's one of three I'd recommend for sure based on the pricing and feature offering it has. Of course, this is just a recommendation n terms of a commercial tool. Open-source tool recommendations are a whole other question.

More SmartBear TestComplete reviews from users