SmartBear TestComplete Review

Speed, configuration consistency, and accuracy of tests with fantastic results

What is our primary use case?

I built it for a demonstration for my team and it's currently dealing with procurement as far as cost, et cetera. The demonstration deals with how the tool is easy to use for desktop and web applications and, of course, web applications on mobile devices as well. No mobile device applications yet. I was able to spend that also using the TestComplete cloud. Instead of building my own grid, I used the test Selenium cloud, which you could use selecting different platforms and different web browsers per platform and you could span them across multiple devices and that was extremely helpful. Building is the hardest part about the frameworks because there's really no right way to do it.

How has it helped my organization?

In TestComplete, I saw a conformed package of a tool that kept everybody in consistency. The team was able to regenerate further tests without having to manipulate more code because the record feature is great. Because we use JavaScript, we convert to JavaScript and then we just expand it from there and that was wonderful. The easiest way to start the test case or test scenario for design purposes is to put it on record, click it and I start messing with the automation. I was very impressed because I didn't have to step out of bounds of TestComplete and that's the kind of tool I've been looking for since I've been automating.

What is most valuable?

The most useful feature is the name mapping. It allows me to not have to worry about the object's name; I just use my alias.

This affected the way my client's organization functions in several ways. Number one is the consistency of the versioning. Everyone's using the same tools, same kind of code, same kind of coding methods. In case somebody's sick or out, another team member can pick up where they left off and keep going.

It's also great because that record feature is not for the mindless. The recording plate is not only there to help you start writing the test, it helps you as a tester or an engineer understand the business mindset of how they built the application. You have to go in yourself and click around. Then, it puts everything in code and then helps you understand. We were testing sites like pharmacies, hotels, insurance providers, and other commercial companies like PetSmart. That's where I was using it and that's where the conformity got a lot better.

What needs improvement?

I was going to say load and performance but I really didn't get a chance to get into the load and performance part of TestComplete.

I can sense there's still a little bit more room for improvement in terms of making the whole testing process easier. Because it was desktop first, it kind of focused on COTS-based testing and API's because everyone's using it at the moment.

To bring it up to a 10, I would be looking for the addition of some key functional API testing. What I mean by key is like the video streaming or a consistent flow of data being used and then how much can it handle and how much API testing can it do because that's where the load and performance comes in. The API testing is where I would see a lot more improvement.

I've been using this solution on and off for about four years. About a year in total.

I have to say that scalability is pretty sufficient for now. I'm the test architect for the company and I have eight employees under me and we are all using the solution.

I would rate my experience with tech support as 10 out of 10. I had two emails and two calls with tech support. Within five minutes, my problem was solved. They were immediately aware of what I was having difficulty with and then showed me the right way to implement the solution.

We've been using Selenium with Java and it's too hard to manage the framework because everyone's changing it because they're running it locally and then they'll put it off the grid, but locally, they're building on the machine. I incorporated a Docker and I containerized the test framework so that now, new employees can go and just install the container but then there's still that engineering mindset. They want to go out and play, so it's just hard to manage. With TestComplete it's all encapsulated in one.

The initial setup was very straightforward. I didn't experience any bugs, glitches, or crashing. I was running 16 tests at one time using half of using my grid and half using the cloud and everything was running fine. I had to test and see if TestComplete could actually go on a Selenium grid and it did.

We're still kind of in the evaluation phase. The new requirements are still in development. So we're using this time to hang up our testing environment.

We're looking for more COTS-based tools or tool so we don't have to do as much management. We want a tool that does the management as versions up and then we just lock it down.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is: If you're looking for speed, configuration consistency, and accuracy of tests with fantastic results, go get TestComplete. If you're starting with it, you'll see how much more you can expand on it.

More SmartBear TestComplete reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about SmartBear TestComplete. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.