SmartBear TestComplete Review

Automation testing using TestComplete

For more than a year, I've been working on automation of functional testing, regression testing using TestComplete. It's a paid automation tool.

It's an little tricky to learn and use but quite similar to Selenium. You can use xpath, record and play to script test cases.

Pros:
- Similar to Selenium IDE, you can record and play test scripts
- Similar to Selenium webdriver, you can create test scripts in VBScript, JScript, DelphiScript, C++Script or C#Script. (personally, I liked VBScript)
- Test results logs helps in finding precisely the issue where test failed
- Tests can be recorded in keyword driven or screen capture modes
- Tests can be created for regression, functional, DDT (data driven testing), ODT(object driven testing), and so on
- Can easily do cross-browser testing

Cons:
- Automated tests can not be run on Mac OSX
- No support for mobile testing automation (though there is a package 'seetest' which can be integrated with TC)
- It can not read xpath values for browsers other than IE, Firefox, chrome, Safari.

Also, you can learn about TestComplete by this book(written by Genndiy Alpaev and reviewed by me):

More SmartBear TestComplete reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Eggplant Functional
3 Comments

author avatarit_user335340 (Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees)

I agree with your comments. I am also using Test complete and selenium IDE. I fell the same way that you feel. Thanks..

author avatarDeva Veluchamy (Aspire Systems)

Yes, the support towards web testing should improve a lot for test complete.

author avatarit_user340998 (Software Quality Analyst I at Bentley Systems Incorporated)

In our organization we are using TestComplete for desktop based application using Visual Basic. Not using record and play back because this technique is not stable and must be used for learning purposes. We have very comprehensive set of regression testing integration with Jenkins. Yes you are right it need alot of improvement in web and mobile automation. For web based application I would personally recommend to use Selenium Webdriver using Java.