SmartBear TestComplete Review
Automation testing using TestComplete

For more than a year, I've been working on automation of functional testing, regression testing using TestComplete. It's a paid automation tool.

It's an little tricky to learn and use but quite similar to Selenium. You can use xpath, record and play to script test cases.

Pros:
- Similar to Selenium IDE, you can record and play test scripts
- Similar to Selenium webdriver, you can create test scripts in VBScript, JScript, DelphiScript, C++Script or C#Script. (personally, I liked VBScript)
- Test results logs helps in finding precisely the issue where test failed
- Tests can be recorded in keyword driven or screen capture modes
- Tests can be created for regression, functional, DDT (data driven testing), ODT(object driven testing), and so on
- Can easily do cross-browser testing

Cons:
- Automated tests can not be run on Mac OSX
- No support for mobile testing automation (though there is a package 'seetest' which can be integrated with TC)
- It can not read xpath values for browsers other than IE, Firefox, chrome, Safari.

Also, you can learn about TestComplete by this book(written by Genndiy Alpaev and reviewed by me):

4 visitors found this review helpful

3 Comments

it_user335340Real UserTOP 20

I agree with your comments. I am also using Test complete and selenium IDE. I fell the same way that you feel. Thanks..

11 April 16
Deva VeluchamyReal UserTOP 5POPULAR

Yes, the support towards web testing should improve a lot for test complete.

07 July 16
Abdul NomanConsultant

In our organization we are using TestComplete for desktop based application using Visual Basic. Not using record and play back because this technique is not stable and must be used for learning purposes. We have very comprehensive set of regression testing integration with Jenkins. Yes you are right it need alot of improvement in web and mobile automation. For web based application I would personally recommend to use Selenium Webdriver using Java.

04 January 17