SmartBear TestComplete Review

We've now automated 90% of the testing we used to perform manually, but I would have preferred Python support in earlier versions.

Valuable Features

It's easy to work with and doesn’t take much to get it setup to start working with it.

Improvements to My Organization

In my previous three positions, there was not a test automation solution in place. I was given the opportunity to explore options. Once I chose a solution, we were able to implement TestComplete and were able to automate about 90% of the manual testing that was done prior to implementing TestComplete.

Room for Improvement

This product continually improves and in v11, they now have Python support. This was something that I wanted and they provided it the latest version.

Use of Solution

I've used it for 11 years.

I have not run into any issues with deployment.

I have not run into any issues with stability.

I have not run into any issues with scalability.

Another one of the many reasons why I chose TestComplete. The level of customer service and technical support can’t be beat. SmartBear always answers my questions within 24-48 hours.

They have a great website, help and forums that also help in finding the answers I need in a timely manner.

It was very straightforward which was another reason why I went with TestComplete. I was able to use the demo version (when I was searching for options) to create tests easily, so when I had to demonstrate the product to my management teams, they could easily see why TestComplete was the product for us.

Implementation Team

The implementation was done by me. The best recommendation is to read the help guide, especially if you are using the product in different ways, like floating licenses. This is where the license server is on one machine and people have to access TestComplete that are not local. However, if you run into any issues, the customer support department is there to help in any way they can.

ROI

My ROI has been the fact that it takes less time to run all of the tests that were done previously. Prior to TestComplete, it would take over three weeks to run all of the tests that needed to be run for a release. After TestComplete, we have been able to reduce that time to less than one week.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

One of the main reasons I went with TestComplete, besides the information that I already provided, was the cost for TestComplete and TestExecute. They make it very easy for large to small companies to implement without large costs. The licenses are broken down the amount of users that need to use it and they also have the option of floating licenses.

Other Solutions Considered

I looked at various options like QuickTest Professional, Rational Functional Tester, and SilkTest.