What is most valuable?
- Object Browser is the most powerful feature. This has helped me tear apart every single component of the application under test. It's an awesome feature.
- Test Editor and Debugger: This has really made my life easy as I can trace memory and stack values very easily.
- Data driven testing has been made very easy. I am comfortable using any sort of backend to support data driven testing such as Excel/databases/etc.
- It supports using third party DLLs has given me an edge on several occasions.
How has it helped my organization?
Previously, we had to wait for the end-of-sprint to make a stable release. Now, rolling out a release is not a problem. As soon as a build is deployed, the scheduler quickly executes User Acceptance Tests, and verifies that the build is fit to be delivered to the clients.
What needs improvement?
- Support for working with COM and ActiveX objects should be more powerful. Currently we have to drill down a lot to find solutions for certain tasks.
- Cross browser testing is a bit complex when it comes to scripting. Developers have to take care with it care, or else issues may arise at deployment time.
For how long have I used the solution?
Overall, I have used this for more than two years, including v1040. Currently I have been using it hands on for the last year.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?
There often are issues with web test execution. Web pages often do not load on the first attempt.
How are customer service and technical support?
Customer server is absolutely robust. The team respond within 12 hours. Technical Support
I never needed to use paid technical support as their forum is extremely helpful. The community members respond to issues within 24 hours. It’s really amazing that within the past twelve months, I have never had a technical question I asked remain unanswered.
Which solution did I use previously and why did I switch?
I am an expert on the following:
- Selenium RC and Servers/Java - but this has multiple limitations
- IBM Rational Functional Tester - it's expensive, and not as powerful as TestComplete
- AppPerfect - is not in competition with any of the above, it’s pathetic
How was the initial setup?
It was straightforward. Both the node locked and floating licenses were easily deployed, and now the whole team is using it.
At one point, we had to update the hardware of the servers where the licenses were deployed, and this was very easy. We just disabled the licenses from the account and deployed them onto the upgraded servers.
What about the implementation team?
I did it myself in-house. It’s very simple. No rocket science needed. Just read the manuals and you can do it.
What was our ROI?
We are saving a lot in terms of client satisfaction. We are not yet in a phase where we have savings in terms of a reduced QA team, but our clients are happy that they get bug free software. Moreover, our testing team spends more time testing new features, and we are confident enough at build roll out time that all previously developed modules are stable.
Which version of this solution are you currently using?