SmartBear TestComplete Review

After installation, I was able to immediately begin coding regression test for available functionality.

Valuable Features

• Initially support for flex/flash technologies, but since that project ended my primary use is Functional Automation against a web front-end built on AngularJS.
  • I use VBScript for a majority of my tests; it is one of many language choices available when writing scripts.
  • Out of the box support for desktop, mobile and web.

Improvements to My Organization

I am the only test engineer on the project, so time is limited in terms of automation development. Using TestComplete I was able to immediately (after installation) begin coding regression tests for available functionality.

My current suite of tests numbers in the hundreds, and each test involves several UI elements. Depending on how your organization defines a test you may call this one test or many. An example to quantify this, is as follows - Automated Build Viability (smoke test) execution:

• Number of tests = 75
  • Automated Time to execute = 15 minutes
  • Manual Time to execute = 360 minutes (approx.)
  • Automation time saved = 345 minutes (5+ hours)
  • 2300% improvement

I have substantially reduced the amount of time it takes for regression and build viability activities.

Room for Improvement

I pay for support and maintenance; having used the “support” functions through online forums, I can say there is room for improvement. I would like to have access directly to TestComplete developers as opposed to “users” who have some level of expertise with the platform.

Use of Solution

I've used it for two years.

No issues encountered.

5/10, there are knowledgeable users in the forums, but I would like to go straight to the TestComplete staff with solution questions. That said, I have had very little need for product or development specific support.

Other tools were evaluated which supported Flex/Flash web apps, but we chose TestComplete for its rich feature set as well as Smartbear’s available suite of tools outside of Automated Testing.

It was very straightforward! You just need to install and begin, no special plugins or out of the ordinary system requirements were necessary.

Implementation Team

We implemented it in-house. As with any automation platform, carefully planning the intended usage, understanding the technology under test and determining which features will be used are critical to success.

ROI

Given the cost was minimal, the best representation of ROI from my perspective is time saved using automated tests vs. manually execution.

• Number of tests = 75
  • Automated Time to execute = 15 minutes
  • Manual Time to execute = 360 minutes (approx.)
  • Automation time saved = 345 minutes (5+ hours)
  • 2300% improvement

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Our recent purchase was a single node locked license for one user which was very inexpensive. That fit our project needs and the automation strategy. The solution resides on inexpensive laptop for development and execution.

1 visitor found this review helpful