SmartBear TestComplete Review

It has allowed us to make significant product changes, new server deployments, and hosting changes with high confidence.

Valuable Features

The two most valuable features are the manual script library (projects) and Test Execute.

Improvements to My Organization

I set up a manual test for new functions and hand it off to a tester (who uses Test Execute). Once the new function test is completed, it is added to regression for all future versions. This has allowed us to make significant product changes, new server deployments, and hosting changes with high confidence.

Room for Improvement

From my understanding, the product has changed significantly since v5 was released. I don’t know that it has necessarily improved, for my needs. If I worked in a different shop, then I might need an entirely different feature set compared to what I use now.

Use of Solution

We've used it since May 2007.

No issues encountered.

I can't recall the last time I needed support.

I can't recall the last time I needed support.

Typically, I used my own method for automation (scripting tool, test data stored in SQL, results stored in SQL, result comparison to baseline with custom script). At the time I purchased TestComplete, the script recording tool wasn’t that great and I didn’t have the skills to write my own scripts. Over time, I used a different automation program and picked up the syntax for its scripting language. The product is currently called WinAutomation, though it had a different name at the time, that I can’t recall.

The initial setup was very straightforward. I installed the main app on my local workstation and test execute on five workstations available for testers. We use a shared network drive to store tests.

Implementation Team

I installed everything myself. It was very straightforward. The real key is knowing what you need for your environment and to adapt the available tools.

ROI

It’s hard to sell testing tools, especially in a company that is owned by someone who thinks of software as a mule to pull his cart. It was a very tough sell and it is hard to quantify in dollars the money saved. However, I can say, with confidence, that there have been over one hundred bugs caught through regression since the software was purchased, which is a great track record for a team this size.