SmartBear TestComplete Review

Using this solution I am able to process whole pages at once rather than doing everything one by one

What is most valuable?

Valuable for us is the ability to identify objects by using Find methods. I am able to process whole pages at once rather than doing everything one by one.

What needs improvement?

Using object spy can be slow sometimes and seems to require a lot of resources.

We have been using the solution for six months.

The solution freezes sometimes, but not very often. Sometimes it doesn’t find any objects from the browser and needs to restart the browser or the whole machine. This happens with Internet Explorer.

It is very difficult to have multiple developers when using Name Mapping. You can’t merge all the files and this creates conflicts.

It scales better for multiple users when using pure script, which reduces the amount of files that cannot be merged.

Support calls were helpful at the beginning, and I haven’t used the support since then.

We used TestPlant eggPlant and are still using it for thick clients where objects are not available. The development speed for TestComplete is faster and more reliable when objects can be seen.

It is easy to install and use.

We went through quite a few of them. This product seemed best for usability and recording features.

What other advice do I have?

Test the trial, then go for it. Keyword tests seem viable for straightforward test cases, but to create dynamic architecture you might want to stick only with scripts and drop Name Mapping.

Keyword tests are easy and fast to record, but adding complex logic for them can be tricky and time consuming.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are partners with SmartBear.