SmartBear TestComplete Review

I like the cross browser compatibility. The way objects are added and used when utilizing descriptive programming could be improved.

What is most valuable?

I like the cross browser compatibility. It saves a lot of time re-writing scripts to accommodate different browsers.

How has it helped my organization?

We are consultants. So we simply provide an automated solution to a client, then move on. We don’t use the product in our day to day work.

What needs improvement?

The way objects are added and used when utilizing descriptive programming could be improved. It is a little unwieldy, compared to UFT.

In UFT, using descriptive programming for a web page you can use.

Browser(description).WebList(description).Select anything.

Regardless of how many panes, frames, panels etc are in the hierarchy before the Weblist object.

But in Smartbear you have to store every frame, panel etc.

So that if you didn’t use the ‘Alias’ functionality you would have an object description miles long.

But even having to use the Alias, you still have to add each and every frame, panel, etc. whereas in UFT you can just use page.object and it will find the object on the page (as long as you’re using unique descriptions!!) without worrying about frames, panes, etc.

We have used this solution for about two years.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I didn’t require any technical support.

I routinely use SmartBear, UFT, and SilkTest. I fit the application used to whatever my client requires.

The initial setup was very straightforward. Even the mobile testing side was easy to setup

My advice so far, is that while it’s not quite as powerful and easy to use as UFT, its price tag more than makes up for it. It makes it an excellent cost saving alternative.

I use several tools.

What other advice do I have?

As with all tools, verify that it will do what you need for a reasonable price.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are in the process of setting up a partner arrangement with SmartBear.