Snyk Review

We can identify things earlier within the development cycle, giving us time to fix things

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is dependency vulnerability scanning and alerting.

How has it helped my organization?

We have integrated it into our software development environment. We have it in a couple different spots. Developers can use it at the point when they are developing. They can test it on their local machine. If the setup that they have is producing alerts or if they need to upgrade or patch, then at the testing phase when a product is being built for automated testing integrates with Snyk at that point and also produces some checks.

The integration of SDE has been easy. We have it on GitHub, then we are using an open source solution that isn't natively supported, but Snyk provides ways for us to integrate it with them regardless of that. GitHub is very easy. You can do that through the UI and with some commands in the terminal.

The sooner that we can find potential vulnerabilities, the better. Snyk allows us to find these potential vulnerabilities in the development and testing phases. We want to pursue things to the left of our software development cycle, and I think Snyk helps us do that.

A lot of the containerization is managed by some of our shared services teams. The solution’s container security feature allows those teams to own security for the applications and containers they run in in the cloud. Our development operations is a smooth process. We are able to address these findings later in the development process, then have the scans at the time of deployment. We are then able to avoid time crunches because it allows us to find vulnerabilities earlier and have the time to address them.

It provides better security because we make sure that our libraries dependencies and product stay up-to-date and have the most current code available. Yet, we are able to quickly know when something requires urgent attention.

What is most valuable?

It raises alerts on vulnerable libraries and findings. It scores those alerts and allows us to prioritize them.

It is very easy to use: The UI is very polished and the API is straightforward. Our developers seldom have a thought like, "This is very odd how they are doing this." The solution seems very intuitive.

I am impressed with Snyk's vulnerability database in terms of its comprehensiveness and accuracy. There have been times when I know that brand new vulnerabilities have come out, then it's only taken them a day or two to adopt them and get them processed into their database. I feel pretty confident in the database.

The security container feature is good and straightforward. The solution’s actionable advice about container vulnerabilities is a little more straightforward, because in most cases, you need to upgrade. There is not as much investigation that needs to go into that. So, the decision to upgrade and fix those is straightforward.

Their API and UI are great.

What needs improvement?

If they were able to have some kind of SAS static code analysis that integrates with their vulnerability dependency alerting. I think that would work really well. Because a lot of times, only if you have this configuration or if you are using these functions, your code will be vulnerable. The alerts do require some investigation and Snyk could improve the accuracy of their alerting if they were to integrate with the SAS static code analysis.

I would like to give further ability to grouping code repositories, in such a way that you could group them by the teams that own them, then produce alerting to those teams. The way that we are seeing it right now, the alerting only goes to a couple of places. I wish we could configure the code to go to different places.

Close to three years.

My impressions of the stability are very high.

We don't require staff for deployment and maintenance of this solution.

It is pretty scalable. We had a few projects that are too large, but they have actually produced fixes which help with that. As of right now, I feel that they are very scalable.

Developer adoption is 90 percent. Our goal is 100 percent. We are currently doing roadmap work, but we will be at 100 percent soon.

Our users are primarily developers. We have the 100 seat license, and I think we have around 80 to 90 users.

Snyk's technical support is big. I have worked with them several times. They are responsive and have always been able to help me with whatever things I am trying to do.

The initial setup is straightforward. They have great documentation, which is relatively straightforward. There are a couple different options on how you can integrate it. This allows you to sort of pick the easiest way. It was simple for most of our use cases and the ways that we needed to integrate with it.

Our initial deployment took less than a week.

We talked to a solutions architect for an hour. That was basically it. Our experience with them was good. Everything seemed very straightforward, so it all went smoothly.

We have seen ROI. The product is more secure. Snyk has allowed our developers to spend less time securing applications, increasing their productivity. This goes back to being able to identify things earlier within the development cycle and having the time, not having to handle all these things in a panicked, chaotic manner, in order to fix something.

Snyk has reduced the amount of time it takes to find problems. By finding problems early on in the development cycle, the solution is probably saving us about a month.

The solution has reduced the amount of time it takes to fix problems. Their database has a great description because it's easy to figure out what the problem is, then we can figure out what needs to be fixed. The time that it saves us is relatively small, about a day.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you know how you want to structure the product at the time that deploy it, because it's hard to go back and restructure it. Prepare a deployment plan before you implement it.

Snyk reports vulnerabilities and alerts on vulnerable libraries, but there are usually a lot of stipulations on if it will be a vulnerability within the code. For example, it might say, "This library is vulnerable, but only if you're using these functions." Then, there is kind of a decision:

• Is it just going to be easiest to upgrade it and not really investigate it?
  • Or do you investigate it and figured out if it's a false positive or not?

So, it depends on how you define false positive. It alerts on vulnerable libraries, but it also says, "Only if you're doing this with these functions," which a lot of the times the case is not, but requires some investigation.

Snyk supports 95 percent of the environment that we have. We do have some code that is not supported by them.

We have other solutions to cover SAST and DAST. If Snyk were to come out with these solutions, we would be interested in what they have and possibly adopting those. It's not a concern for us that they don't have those, because we use other solutions to cover SAST and DAST, but we also want to be able to cover vulnerable dependency alerting.

They're always coming out with new stuff.

I would rate the solution as a nine out of 10.

More Snyk reviews from users