Snyk Review

Helps us meet compliance requirements and educate devs on security in the SDC

What is our primary use case?

Since some of our development is using open source packages, we need a way to identify the vulnerabilities before using those packages for development. Using Snyk, we can identify all the safe packages, which to use and which to not use, and create a safe repository for developers.

The goal is to catch the vulnerabilities early within the process and fix them before they get to the security review where they can cause deadlines to be pushed out to fix them.

We're using the cloud version.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us meet compliance requirements, by identifying and fixing vulnerabilities, and to have a robust vulnerability management program. It basically helps keep our company secure, from the application security standpoint.

Snyk also helps improve our company by educating users on the security aspect of the software development cycle. They may have been unaware of all the potential security risks when using open source packages. During this process, they have become educated on what packages to use, the vulnerabilities behind them, and a more secure process for using them.

In addition, its container security feature allows developers to own security for the applications and the containers they run in the cloud. It gives more power to the developers.

Before using Snyk, we weren't identifying the problems. Now, we're seeing the actual problems. It has affected our security posture by identifying open source packages' vulnerabilities and licensing issues. It definitely helps us secure things and see a different facet of security.

It also allows our developers to spend less time securing applications, increasing their productivity. I would estimate the increase in their productivity at 10 to 15 percent, due to Snyk's integration. The scanning is automated through the use of APIs. It's not a manual process. It automates everything and spits out the results. The developers just run a few commands to remediate the vulnerabilities.

What is most valuable?

• The wide range of programming languages it covers, including Python
  • Identifying the vulnerabilities and providing information on how to fix them — remediation steps

It's very easy for developers to use. Onboarding was an easy process for all of the developers within the company. After a quick, half-an-hour to an hour session, they were fully using it on their own. It's very straightforward. Usability is definitely a 10 out of 10. Our developers are using the dashboard and command lines. All the documentation is provided and I've never had an issue.

We have integrated Snyk into our software development environment. It's something that is ongoing at the moment. Our SDE is VS Code.

Another important feature is the solution’s vulnerability database, in terms of comprehensiveness and accuracy. It's top-notch. It pulls all the data from the CVE database, the national vulnerability database. It's accurate and frequently updated.

What needs improvement?

We use the solution's container security feature. A lot of the vulnerabilities can't be addressed due to OS restraints. They just can't be fixed, even with their recommendations. I would like to see them improve on this.

A feature we would like to see is the ability to archive and store historical data, without actually deleting it. It's a problem because it throws my numbers off. When I'm looking at the dashboard's current vulnerabilities, it's not accurate.

We have been using Snyk for a little more than a year.

The stability is very good. I haven't noticed any downtime.

It provides easy deployment for different code repositories, so it's easily scalable.

We have about 20 to 25 users and it's being used very extensively, across all our applications.

Their technical support is top-notch, a 10 out of 10. I have a Slack channel for direct discussions with support. And I have my account manager for any questions or issues I run into. Response time ranges between instant and three hours. If they don't know the question or the issue, they'll escalate. They'll have someone else join the Slack or give me a Zoom session.

This is the first of its kind, that we are using.

The initial setup was very straightforward. The integrations with our code repositories, like Bitbucket and GitHub, are direct. You enter their required information and just pull data from them. There was no setup for any additional VMs or anything else.

Developer adoption has been pretty positive, since it's easy to use. We have 100 percent adoption. They understand the need for security with software development. Everyone's happy with the product, and it allows them to catch vulnerabilities earlier in the software development cycle, rather than later, so they can fix them before they get to the security-review process.

The deployment took a few hours, maybe even less. I was the only one involved in the process. I just followed the directions. We just planned on identifying the specific repositories linking to Snyk, and then started scanning specific projects.

I also take care of maintenance of the solution and it takes less than 5 percent of my time. There is very little maintenance needed since it's a SaaS product.

We have seen ROI, although I don't have any data points on it. It's very valuable. It saves time for the developers and security team by quickly identifying things and fixing them before they get down the pipeline. It prevents the creation of additional roadblocks and complexity and the pushing out of deadlines to address issues once they are too far down the pipeline.

We didn't find any other options on the market.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson I've learned from using this solution is the complexity of open source licenses. I wasn't aware of all the different types of licenses, and all the terms and conditions required to use specific open source packages.

More Snyk reviews from users