Snyk Review

Provides information about the issue as well as resolution, easy to integrate, and never fails

What is our primary use case?

We are using Snyk along with SonarQube, and we are currently more reliant on SonarQube.

With Snyk, we've been doing security and vulnerability assessments. Even though SonarQube does the same when we install the OWASP plugin, we are looking for a dedicated and kind of expert tool in this area that can handle all the security for the code, not one or two things.

We have the latest version, and we always upgrade it. Our code is deployed on the cloud, but we have attached it directly with the Azure DevOps pipeline.

What is most valuable?

It is a nice tool to check the dependencies of your open-source code. It is easy to integrate with your Git or source control.

It has a nice dashboard where I can see all the vulnerabilities and risks that they provided. I can also see the category of any risk, such as medium, high, and low. They provide the input priority-wise. The team can target the highest one first, and then they can go to medium and low ones.

Its reports are nice and provide information about the issue as well as resolution. They also provide a proper fix. If there's an issue, they provide information in detail about how to remediate that issue.

It is easy to integrate without a pipeline, and we just need to schedule our scanning. It does that overnight and sends the report through email early morning. This is something most of the tools have, but all of these come in a package together.

It never failed, and it is very easy, reliable, and smooth.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if they can include dynamic, interactive, and run-time scanning features. Checkmarx and Veracode provide dynamic, interactive, and run-time scanning, but Snyk doesn't do that. That's the reason there is more inclination towards Veracode, Checkmarx, or AppScan. These are a few tools available in the market that do all four types of scanning: static, dynamic, interactive, and run-time.

We have to integrate with their database, which means we need to send our entire code to them to scan, and they send us the report. A company working in the financial domain usually won't like to share its code or any information outside its network with any third-party provider. Such companies try to build the system in-house, and their enterprise-level licensing cost is really huge. There is also an overhead of updating the vulnerability database.

It has been more than one and a half years.

It is stable. I haven't had any problems with its stability.

It is easy. We have integrated Snyk with two to four projects, and we do run scanning every week to check the status and improvement in the quality of our code.

Currently, only I am using this solution because I'm handling all the stuff related to infrastructure and DevOps stuff in my company. It is a very small company with 100 to 200 people, and I am kind of introducing this tool in our organization to have enterprise-level stuff. I have used this tool in my old organization, and that's why I am trying to implement it here. I am the only DevOps engineer who works in this organization, and I want to integrate it with different code bases.

I've never used their technical support.

It is really straightforward. If someone has set up a simple pipeline, they can just integrate in no time.

Pricing-wise, it is not expensive as compared to other tools. If you have a couple of licenses, you can scan a certain number of projects. It just needs to be attached to them.

What other advice do I have?

I have been using this solution for one and a half years, and I definitely like it. It is awesome in whatever it does right now.

It is a really nice tool if you really want to do the dependency check and security scanning of your code, which falls under static code analysis. You can implement it and go for it for static code analysis, but when it comes to dynamic, interactive, and run-time scanning, you should look for other tools available in the market. These are the only things that are missing in this solution. If it had these features, we would have gone with it because we have already been using it for one and a half years. Now, the time has come where we are looking for new features, but they are not there.

Considering the huge database they have, all the binaries it scans, and other features, I would rate Snyk an eight out of 10.

More Snyk reviews from users
...who compared it with Black Duck
Learn what your peers think about Snyk. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
534,057 professionals have used our research since 2012.