Snyk Review

Saves time and increases developer productivity, but we struggle a bit due to a lack of documentation

What is our primary use case?

We are using Snyk to find the vulnerabilities inside dependencies. It is one of the best tool in the market for this.

How has it helped my organization?

It is pretty easy and straightforward to use because integration won't take more than 15 minutes to be honest. After that, developers don't have to do anything. Snyk automatically monitors their projects. All they need to do is wait and see if any vulnerabilities have been reported, and if yes, how to fix those vulnerability.

So far, Snyk has given us really good results because it is fully automated. We don't have to scan projects every time to find vulnerabilities, as it already stores the dependencies that we are using. It monitors 24/7 to find out if there are any issues that have been reported out on the Internet.

Whenever Snyk reports to us about a vulnerability, it always reports to us the whole issue in detail:

• What is the issue.
  • What is the fix.
  • What version we should use.

E.g., if upgrading to a new version may break an application, developers can easily understand the references and details that we receive from Snyk regarding what could break if we upgrade the version.

The solution allows our developers to spend less time securing applications, increasing their productivity. As soon as there is a fix available, developers don't have to look into what was affected. They can easily upgrade their dependencies using Snyk's recommendation. After that, all they need is to test their application to determine if the new upgrade is breaking their application. Therefore, they are completely relaxed on the security side.

Snyk is playing a big role in our security tooling. There were a couple of breaches in the past, which used vulnerability dependencies. If they had been using Snyk and had visibility into what vulnerabilities they had in their dependencies, they could have easily patched it and saved themselves from their breaches.

So far, we have really good feedback from our developers. They enjoy using it. When they receive a notification that they have a vulnerability in their project, they find that they like using Snyk as they have a very easy way to fix an issue. They don't have to spend time on the issue and can also fix it. This is the first time I have seen in my career that developers like a security tool.

I'm the only person who is currently maintaining everything for Snyk. We don't need more resources to maintain Snyk or work full-time on it. The solution has Slack integration, which is a good feature. We have a public channel where we are reporting all our vulnerabilities. This provides visibility for our developers. They can see vulnerabilities in their projects and fix them on their own without the help of security.

What is most valuable?

Snyk integrations and notifications with Slack are the most valuable feature because they are really handy. By monitoring dependencies, if there is a vulnerability reported, Snyk will fire off a Slack message to us. With that Slack message, we can create a request just from the notifications which we receive on Slack. It's like having visibility in a general channel and also flexibility to fix that issue with a few clicks.

The solution’s vulnerability database is always accurate since the chances of getting a false positive is very rare. It only reports the vulnerabilities which have already been reported publicly.

The solution’s Container security feature allows developers to own security for the applications and the containers they run in in the cloud. Without using Snyk, developers might be not aware if they are creating a vulnerability in their Docker images. While using Snyk, they have at least a layer of protection where they can be notified by a Snyk if there is a vulnerability in the Docker images or communities.

What needs improvement?

If the Snyk had a SAST or DAST solution, then we could have easily gone with just one vendor rather than buying more tools from other vendors. It would save us time, not having to maintain relationships with other vendors. We would just need to manage with one vendor. From a profitability standpoint, we will always choose the vendor who gives us multiple services. Though, we went ahead with Snyk because it was a strong tool.

Snyk needs to support more languages. It's not supporting all our languages, e.g., Sift packages for our iOS applications. They don't support that but are working to build it for us. They are also missing some plugins for IDEs, which is the application that we are using for developers to code.

There are a couple of feature request that I have asked from Snyk. For example, I would like Snyk to create a Jira ticket from Slack notifications. We already have Snyk creating a pull request from Slack notifications, so I asked if we could create a Jira ticket as well so we can track the vulnerability.

I started working with at my company eight months ago and Snyk was already in place. As for my own experience, I was using this solution before I joined the company, so I was familiar with the tool and how it works.

They were a couple of issues which happened because Snyk lacked some documentation on the integration side. Snyk is lacking a lot of documentation, and I would like to see them improve this. This is where we struggle a bit. For example, if something breaks, we can't figure out how to fix that issue. It may be a very simple thing, but because we don't have the proper documentation around an issue, it takes us a bit longer.

So far, we have onboarded all our developers to Snyk, and it's still running fine. However, they could improve it. For example, if I create a bulk request for more than 15 or 20 vulnerabilities, then it takes a bit longer than it should in terms of time.

Including security, the total developers that we have on Snyk is almost 50 at this time. We are pushing more to the developers and would like to have 200 developers in the coming month or two.

The people with whom I'm connected are really good. If I have issues, they will quickly jump on a call and I will start troubleshooting with them over the call. The people with whom I'm talking are very technical.

Before using Snyk, we didn't have visibility into how many dependencies we were using or importing into our projects. Snyk gives us how many third-party libraries we are using and what version they are running on. Also, it let us know if there are any vulnerabilities in those libraries when we are writing our code. Because of the potential impact, we have to ensure that there aren't any vulnerabilities in these libraries (since we have no visibility) when we are importing.

The initial setup was straightforward. Onboarding projects didn't take me too long. It was pretty straightforward and easy to integrate with event/packet cloud and import all our projects from there. Then, it was easy to generate the organizational ID and API key, then add it to the Snyk plug-in that we are using in our build pipeline.

Snyk was already onboard when I joined. Deployment of my 23 projects took me an hour.

The solution has reduced the amount of time it takes to find problems by three or four hours per day.

The solution has reduced the amount of time by at least two to three hours a day to fix problems because the documentation which we receive is very helpful. This also depends on a couple of factors, such as, how big a project or library is.

Developer productivity has increased a lot. Considering all the projects about security vulnerabilities, we are saving at least six to seven hours a day.

What other advice do I have?

It saves a lot of my time and the developers' time. Also, because everything is super simple and straightforward in one place, it is really convenient for the security team to keep an eye on vulnerabilities in their projects.

Having this type of tool for a security team is really helpful. In my previous role, we didn't have this type of tool for our team. We struggled a lot with how we could enhance our visibility or see our projects: what dependencies they were using and if we could monitor those dependencies for any vulnerabilities. Without the tool, we could be attacked by some random vulnerability which we were not even aware of. Thus, I strongly recommend having this type of tool for a security team.

This is integrated with our CI/CD.

For Containers, we are still not fully rolled out and working around it.

I would rate this solution as a seven (out of 10).

More Snyk reviews from users