Smartbear%20software logo

SoapUI Pro Review
With this solution, we were able to develop tests about 3x faster than we did with Java.

Valuable Features

I found the REST Discovery and Groovy scripting features to be most valuable. Additionally, the Simple programming model enables a wide audience (in contrast to Java or JavaScript). The XML format makes it easy for scripts to analyze the test base (metrics, bulk simple changes).

Improvements to My Organization

Using this solution, we developed tests about three times faster than we did with Java and by doing manual REST reverse engineering from product code (Java). This solution also enabled manual testers to write automated tests, which they would not have been able to do in Java. We are planning to get SoapUI tests written earlier (thus moving some test development upstream).

Room for Improvement

Working with Git needs to be improved. SoapUI 1.8.0 has this annoying habit of touching/changing many files that are unrelated to a test developer's actual change. This habit complicates working with Git, since Git thinks that the user has made hundreds of changes.

Use of Solution

I have used this solution for twoyears.

I have not really encountered any issues with stability.

The product is adequately scalable. It can handle composite test projects that contain many hundreds of tests.

I would rate technical support as eight out of 10.

I previously tested TestNG/Java. With this solution, we were able to develop tests about three times faster than we did with Java and by doing manual REST reverse engineering from product code (Java). This solution also enabled manual testers to write automated tests, which they would not have been able to do in Java.

The initial setup needs an automated headless installer.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The license cost is a good value, but others not familiar with the tool are often skeptical.

Other Solutions Considered

We did not evaluate other options. We tried SoapUI first and its REST Discovery feature convinced us to adopt it.

Other Advice

Evaluate this solution in a pilot project. Remember that, as test numbers grow, test maintenance will become an issue. Implement scripts to apply verification rules across the test XML files, to ensure that test authors are following team conventions. That will reduce the number of avoidable errors that usually get introduced into the test base.

1 visitor found this review helpful
5cc96853 e4f2 4daf 9437 59aaf806d1b2 avatar

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About SoapUI Pro?

Our experts can help. 243,045 professionals have used our research on 6,016 solutions.