SolarWinds AppOptics Review

Offers valuable reporting features and stability but it needs better performance monitoring

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to bring up all the inventory information used for the whole deployment. The tool was extensively used. We used to use this solution for managing our service management portfolio.

What is most valuable?

The reporting of the solution is very good.

What needs improvement?

The implementation needs improvement. It needs to get modernized with the newer cloud scenario in both public and private deployment models.

This is especially true on the reporting side of it. It has to get integrated with tools like Power BI. That way, we can create our own customized viewer screens that help our management. It has to really network with Magic Quadrant.

Performance monitoring ability would be a good idea to improve within the solution. It would really help.

I've been using the solution since 2015 or 2016.

The solution has been very stable. I haven't witnessed any bugs, glitches or crashes.

The solution is scalable. We have a pretty big operation to scale and we also used a cloud to have the data center moved. The scalability was useful to us at the time.

Our user base is about 100 people from the IT department largely.

We've never been in touch with technical support.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was a bit of a challenge. When we are using the tool, we have to get permissions within that IP, particularly for all the ports that need to get opened up. That is something that was very time consuming when we originally deployed.

It's best to install the solution with the assistance of consultants or integrators in order to get the clarity you need.

We didn't look at other vendors before choosing this solution. Once we started looking into and experimenting with this solution, we realized we didn't need to.

What other advice do I have?

When we're moving from on-premises to the cloud, we really would like to know what others are doing so that we're better prepared for the shift. That's something we're working on right now. With the cloud becoming popular and having higher demand, once the solution has modernized the ability to migrate and to set the cloud up, it will be great.

Our program management team and steering committee are really interested in knowing how real day-to-day operations are affected by this solution and what the cost factor is. We'd like to understand a bit better in financial terms how the solution is impacting our business. Right now, we don't have that available to us.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about SolarWinds, Dynatrace, New Relic and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: February 2021.
464,655 professionals have used our research since 2012.