SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer Review

Good database support and centralized management, but the reporting and dashboards need improvement

What is our primary use case?

In my previous company, I was using this solution to implement monitoring callbacks.

Currently, I work for a system integrator and I am implementing DPAs for some of our clients.

We have an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the support for older databases and the ability to manage them in a centralized dashboard. For example, I can see my SQL servers and DB2 servers on one dashboard.

What needs improvement?

The alerting and reporting functions really need to be improved because they are hard to configure. This is not just an issue for customers. Specialty monitoring is difficult. The reports and alerts should be easier to create.

The dashboards and reports should be more customizable.

The dashboard has become easier to use with the Orion integration, but it still needs improvement.

Technical support for this solution needs to be improved.

I have had some issues with scalability for the Orion interface.

I have been using this solution for between three and four years.

There are two user interfaces for this solution, which are the Orion platform and the DPA. The DPA is quite stable, but the Orion is not so much.

I do not have experience with scaling this product a great deal, although I think that it will be enough for mid-size or large-size companies. At the same time, I don't think it will be used by ISPs or much bigger companies.

I do not think that SolarWinds support is very good because it just takes too long to solve the problem. Eventually, they attempt to solve your issues, one way or another, but it takes too long for the support.

I have knowledge of other solutions, but I did not use another one prior to this.

This solution is very easy to set up.

The deployment normally takes three or four days. This is enough to monitor all of the databases. However, creating reports and dashboards takes much more time than that.

I am the person who implements and deploys this solution for our customers. One it is deployed, the customers can use it easily.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is not to use the default reports. DPA gives very detailed information with customer reports. If you have time to investigate then you will find many good examples of reports and dashboards online.

The solution is quite ready to use as soon as you install it, although there are a lot of custom things that can be implemented.

Overall, this is a good solution but it needs easier reporting and more customizable dashboards. Also, scalability for the Orion sites needs to be improved.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.