SolarWinds NPM Review
Overall NPM is a great product

I've been working with this product for almost 10 years. It has improved significantly, but the out-of-the-box metrics don't cut it for me. The discovery capabilities for custom metrics are limited because many MIBs have unique ways of defining instances and much meta-data that can't be easily captured with the existing interface. Reporting has its downfalls as well. The reports have great sex-appeal, but little flexibility to combine metrics or aggregate the data in unique ways. Take a product like Netcool Proviso - you can do almost anything with discovery and data, but it's much more expensive, support stinks, and the reports are ugly as sin. Overall NPM is a great product. The TWACK community adds much that is lacking.

1 visitor found this review helpful

2 Comments

it_user8346Real User

Hi,
thanks for your feedback. I'm NPM product manager and I'm here to make our products better. Would you be willing if I would contact you directly and we can talk about the things in more details. Regarding the reports, are you talking about new reporting in NPM 10.6 ?
Michal

02 August 13
it_user68013Real User

I would think that in this VERY competitive arena, the question would be, can they afford NOT to improve their product? Nearly every week, I find a new product with a fascinating component that up to that point, I hadn't heard of or thought of.

Last week I stumbled across a product that creates a topology map of your spanning tree routing. I MUST be a geek, because I actually got a little excited reading about it. Imagine not having to GUESS how traffic is routed through your switches, one mouse click and you know EXACTLY what path your data is taking from client A to server B, and back again. How cool is that?

It seems to me that a successful company is one that constantly improves their product and not only keeps up with the competition but focuses on keeping AHEAD.

Look at Atari, Nintendo, Novell and the rest of the endless list of one hit wonders who came up with great ideas and then fell to the back of the pack. And, if you watch the Discovery Channel, you know what happens to anything that falls behind. Burp!

NPM should add packet capture and analysis (unless they already have, of course. I haven't touched it in the last 6 months or so). They need to write better SQL queries as well as a better SQL tool for their customers (several of the out of the box queries timed out when I tried to use them).

They need better support as well. At my last employer, we had to choose which plugins to use because their support staff couldn't figure out why our page refresh rate was DISMAL. With NTA installed, we always had time for a coffee break between refreshes.

With that said, NPM is a good product. I'd like to see it become a GREAT product.

10 November 13