SolarWinds NPM Review

Easy to deploy, and we are able to respond to problems before the customer is aware of them.

What is most valuable?

One of the main features is ease of deployment. Adding new devices only takes a few minutes. This allows me to do my other duties.

How has it helped my organization?

We are now able to respond to problems before the customer is even aware of them. As an example, our VPN router had a memory leak which was going to start causing performance problems. We were able to get ahead of the complaints by restarting the device. We didn’t need to wait for a complaint from a remote worker.

What needs improvement?

NPM comes with a tool called Network Atlas. Currently, it can only link switches to switches and only if all the corresponding ports are monitored. I would like it to figure out next-hop devices, which other tools like NetBrain can do.

I would also like to see better mapping of devices and how they connect to one another.

We have used this solution for four years.

We haven’t had any issues with stability.

I haven’t had any issues with scalability. There is plenty of documentation available to help with it.

SolarWinds has a community called Thwack. That is where I get most of my help. I would give it the highest rating.

Before this solution, we used Spiceworks. SolarWinds had the nicest single-pane-of-glass monitoring solution, so we decided to go that route.

I was involved in the installation. After discovery, you select what you want to monitor.

Licenses go quickly. Each interface is a license.

What other advice do I have?

Have a goal in mind. Prioritize your monitoring goals in terms of alerting, reporting, and dashboards. Then you can focus on completing those areas in order of importance.

The product is always being expanded and additional features are constantly being added.