SolarWinds NPM Review

The product's simplicity is valuable, maintenance is low, and it is customizable.

What is most valuable?

The simplicity of this product is a valuable feature; everything you need is easily accessible and the maintenance is low. In addition, it is customizable which makes it possible to do anything you want with little work.

How has it helped my organization?

NPM gets information out fast, so troubleshooting time is reduced.

What needs improvement?

I enjoy their latest revamp of the alerting feature. However, I still think there is a little more that can be done there.

I have used this product for around 12 years.

We are currently using:

• QoE 2.2.0
  • IVIM 2.1.2
  • SAM 6.3.0
  • NetPath 1.0.1

I have encountered issues only with the Microsoft OS that it lays on.

NPM has scaled in pace with my business.

I would give their technical support a 7/10 rating.

As their customer base has increased, they have been walking through more basic troubleshooting. Thus, it takes longer to get through the basic checklists of questions that I have no doubt solve many of the other issues experienced by their customers and may not even be related to their product.

Initially, we used a home-grown solution. Since it was not scaling/developing with the rate of technology, we moved onto this product.

The initial setup was simple. I have also used Whatsup Gold and open-source Nagios; they were either too simplistic or too difficult to get actionable data.

The only thing I don’t like is that NTA license size is tied to NPM’s license size, since my organization's need for NTA is lower than our need for NPM.

We looked at other solutions, namely WhatsUp Gold, TNT software and Nagios.

What other advice do I have?

Keep your imagination open and keep looking around Thwack; there are lots of great ideas in there.

It is an awesome production, I just haven’t found a way to do all my work yet.