SolarWinds NPM Review

Helps provide a central repository for network mapping.

What is most valuable?

At the time, we did not have a central repository for network mapping. This product help us with this and allowed us to drill down on the elements in the maps to get more detailed information.

How has it helped my organization?

It provided visibility into network performance, which at the time we really did not have.

What needs improvement?

Reporting: Generating reports could be improved.

NOTE: This is related to the version 9.5. I believe they are on version 12.1 and this may have been addressed.

I have used SolarWinds for 10 years.

I did have some issues with the stability of the database, but that was due to issues whereby nightly maintenance of the database was not running.

I had some performance issues but they were due to the need for addtional pollers.

Technical support is average. Sometimes it took days to get responses and the responses were via email.

I was using an open-source solution that was not scalable.

Setup is very straightforward and easy to install.

For the price, I would purchase the unlimited version especially for medium-size companies.

We looked at eHealth, CiscoWorks, and HPE OpenView.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you plan the implementation of the product; i.e., resources such as the number of pollers, add-on modules/product, etc.