SolarWinds NPM Review

The ability to pick and chose modules per need with integration once deployed is valuable.

What is most valuable?

The ability to pick and chose modules per need, but at the same time close and seamless integration once deployed: While everything is pretty complicated and fast moving, we do not want the monitoring and management software to be complicated. That is the reason the ease-of-deployment and ease-of-use is extremely valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

Proactive alerting helps prevent outages to meet our SLA, as well as in forecasting.

What needs improvement?

Some features are missing (which will be in any product out there) but there is a community that either provides workarounds or the ability to request the improvement.

I have been using SolarWinds for nine years.

For the most part, it is just like any product and is as stable as it could be. At the same time, it is just as vulnerable as the infrastructure it uses (server/VM, storage, network and database).

SolarWinds has come a long way to provide scalability. What initially used to be for small enterprises is now much more expandable and can accommodate larger enterprises. The implementation is easier by deploying additional polling engines (of course, with limits like in any other product).

Other than some occasional delays getting hold of someone in the telephone queue, technical support is good for the most part.

We were using Big Brother, HostMonitor, OpManager and HPE OpenView. We migrated as a part of the initiative to consolidate the monitoring system into one platform.

Installation is very straightforward; however, upgrades are a bit tedious (though not complex). It is complex only when you have a large platform of monitoring systems. For a small implementation, it is extremely simple.

The key is not to look at the current situation but consider future needs. It should be aligned with the infrastructure growth. Unless it is a really small environment, I always recommend to go with the unlimited license because the elements get used up quickly.

I was using other products so I did not evaluate, per se. But I knew the difference between other products and SolarWinds.

What other advice do I have?

It requires absolute thorough and all-round details on the infrastructure and its future needs. Once the scale is identified, get the right licenses and underlying platform (physical vs virtual and quick storage).

More SolarWinds NPM reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with ManageEngine OpManager
Learn what your peers think about SolarWinds NPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.