SolarWinds NPM Review

It has customizable features, but they are complicated to use

What is our primary use case?

I am working at a company which is an Internet service provider (ISP). So, I'm monitoring the traffic on some nodes, like switches, routers, firewall, the traffic, and the CPU.

I am using the latest version, which I just downloaded from their site.

What needs improvement?

There is a customization feature, but it is not a good feature. While it's somewhat good, it is too complicated.

The aesthetic widgets should be dynamic widgets, so the customization can be even more customizable.

Trial/evaluations only.

It is stable.

It does not take much staff to maintain.

It is scalable, but my network is not that big. We have just a few nodes.

For technical support, we are dealing with someone in Ireland. I have not always received responses to my inquiries.

I previously used PRTG, but PRTG is now forbidden in Libya. So, we switched to using SolarWinds and ManageEngine OpManager.

The set up was very easy. We didn't have any problems with the setup. The deployment took less than an hour.

We used a SolarWinds reseller for the deployment in Libya. We found them on the SolarWinds website.

The pricing is very expensive for SolarWinds. That's a huge disadvantage for it.

PRTG is easier to use, but SolarWinds is more customizable. SolarWinds also has more features, but they are complicated to use.

We are just trying the demo. I am not going to recommend this to my company because PRTG is much easier. We're looking for something that is very easy to export the reports from the dashboard. SolarWinds is sort of complicated.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for something which is very customizable for the customization of your network, then you should go with SolarWinds. However, overall, the customization feature is also a disadvantage because it can be very complicated.