SolarWinds NPM Review

Scalability is very good for physical machines. For virtual machines, the scalability is challenging.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our network LAN and some problem that we saw in our switching networks.

How has it helped my organization?

We had some interfaces where the SFP Ports were having some problems after a while. We found which of the SFP Ports was having the error and changed it, so the bandwidth become okay.

What is most valuable?

The error handling interface has been helpful.

Mostly, we use the bandwidth monitoring because we experience problems with the bandwidth.

What needs improvement?

SolarWinds is not an all-in-compassing product. We need other products like Cisco and HPE to work with it.

It couldn't find the error to the problem because it was missing detail in the reports. The reports that we received from it weren't clear.

We aren't getting the solution that we need from the device.

We are looking to change away from this solution because of the documentation and the solution doesn't have enough integration in our country. The documentation is too weak.

I have been using this solution for five years.

The stability is very good.

We use it every day. We use it as a monitoring tool.

One person maintains the solution.

The scalability is very good for physical machines. For virtual machines, the scalability is challenging.

We have 10 users for 2000 devices. Most of the users are admins.

We have no plans to increase our usage.

We haven't called the technical support team.

There wasn't enough SolarWind's documentation to fine tune the system.

For networks, we prefer to use Cisco Prime.

For service devices, we use HPE OneVIew. This is helpful for HPE services.

The enterprise setup was complex because we have too many devices (about a 1000 routers). It is very challenging to tune all these devices.

Maybe the support team didn't train us well on how to use the product. We might need experts to train us.

Deployment took about six months.

We deployed it ourselves. For deployment, two people worked.

It is expensive.

We are having some problems. Our network can't find the problem. We will probably go use Cisco Prime.

We have also considered switching to Zabbix due to its support and deployment.

Some solutions are open source and free.