SolarWinds Security Event Manager Review

Assists greatly with analyzing log files from any IT related source

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is analyzing log files from any kind of source which is IT related. We use the product in our company on a daily basis and also integrate it for others. There are four people in our company using this software, and it's part of their daily routine to check everything. We are consultans and a reseller of the solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the solution is intuitivity of navigation; it's easy to build rules and actions which are based on the logs and event types we collect with the software.

What needs improvement?

Some things on the roadmap could be improved but I understand they're working on those issues. The main area that would mean a big improvement for me would be for the product to include multiple dashboards. I would love to see a multi-page dashboard where you could see information side-by-side; to slice through the dashboard to see specific topics. For example, one network dashboard, one active directory dashboard, one VMware dashboard, etc.

That feature is something they could include in the next release - the ability for a report to flip to different technologies. And it would be nice if there were some pretty configured templates for the dashboard so that you don't have to fill all the data in. For example, a template for active directory or KPIs, or a template for VMware KPIs.

We've been using the solution for about one year.

It's a very stable solution.

Scalability is a plus with this software.

Technical support is good, they've even helped us during the night because they're in a different time zone.

The setup process and determining all the log files from all the different systems is quite easy. However, to get all the information out of the log files and create rules and access based on the log files, means that it's sensible to hire consultants. The simple setup of the virtual machine takes about two hours and after that it really depends on the number of log files and the number of devices. You're looking at about half a day and you have pretty much installed everything.

The setup cost is not as expensive as Splunk or many other competitors. Cost is dependent on the size of the company.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise people to make themselves familiar with the SolarWinds work community which has all the users' comments and where you can get the newest topics about everything connected to the software. It makes sense to peek around there. There is also SolarWinds SCM online training which is a big help when getting started with the software.

The product fills all our requirements but there is always room for improvement and so I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

More SolarWinds Security Event Manager reviews from users