SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor Review

An excellent solution that's easy to scale, highly stable, and quick to implement

What is our primary use case?

Our clients primarily use the solution for Microsoft Exchange, and Microsoft Office 365.

How has it helped my organization?

We monitor the main controller. When we change around one of the main controllers from primary to secondary, with some end application monitor modules, we fix the change with the entity server. That provides us with a bit of time-saving.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable features are PerfStack, AppStack and AppInsight.

What needs improvement?

The solution should implement something like a network configuration manager, or some baseline for server configuration. Many of my customers need a recommendation for server configuration. Implementing that as a feature would be perfect for them.

I've been using the solution for about seven months.

In general, the solution is quite stable.

The SolarWinds server and application monitor scales easily from one technical platform to another. It's perfect. On my last POC, we had 10,000 users and 180 staff on the solution. We don't have plans to increase usage at this time.

We've never had to contact technical support.

The initial setup was easy.

Deployment for a small company might only take a couple of hours. Larger organizations, with, for example, ten or eleven modules, would take three or four hours, and one or two days for customization. However, that's just for the Orion platform, not for the SolarWinds application monitor. It's easy for us because we have a very talented technical staff who are well versed in Microsoft and Linux.

For maintenance, I have two technical staff members. One is for the network management solution. The other handles the server and application, for systems management.

We handle the implementation ourselves.

We did not evaluate other options before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution. If you work with Microsoft SCOM, or are considering it, you should look at SolarWinds instead. It's a perfect product.

I would rate the solution ten out of ten.